Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leave kill switch on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:17 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm going to risk wading in a bit deeper. I shut off using the kill switch first, because I always park in gear (unless in the garage on the Condor) and I always hold the bike with my front brake as I shut down and prepare to dismount. I would not want only my left hand on the bars, pulling the clutch with the motor running, the bike in gear, and no brake applied, which would be required were I to reach for the switch. Seems better to shut the motor off and get the heavy *** bike settled before releasing the bars.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:31 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by FinalShot
I guess I can never shut off my bike then. Mine only has a run/stop switch and the "ignition" is nothing more than a fork lock. When this argument comes up, I always ask for something from the manufacturer that says you should not use the kill switch to shut down a bike during normal operation.
Exactly, ask yourself why the MoCo made it that way? Because they want a hard shut down on the bikes. Pretty soon they will all be like that.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:37 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,208 Likes on 8,363 Posts

Originally Posted by Dionicio
I always leave the kill switch on, and start/turn off My bike with the Ignition switch, with no battery problems. Your salesperson was wrong.

Originally Posted by jefla
I have heard that not using the kill switch can lead to corrosive deposits forming on the contacts that cause no-start isues. Folks have recommneded at least occassional use to avoid the buildup.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 12-26-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:56 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
why not get into the habit of locking the ignition switch after you've hit the kill switch and ignition and you wouldn't forget to turn off your ignition? I lock the ignition and the forks every time including at home in my garage.
Originally Posted by Tedjay
I do the same.
Me 3.

A lot of guys tell me this looks like paranoia because "no-one ever steals your bike". For the sake of my insurance claim, if my bike does go missing, when the cops ask if it was locked I want to be able to say yes. Like giving an enema to a dead man, this might not do any good but it can't hurt.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:42 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

85 posts and nothing has changed since the beginning of time. Everyone will do it the way they want to, problem (or if there was ever one) solved.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:08 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Actually, this isn't a stupid question, as shown by the eleventy-three different answers.

The Owner's Manual for my '14 says to stop the engine with the Run/Off switch. (No, it's not a Touring, but I assume the logic is the same.)

I'm going to be stopping by my dealership today, so I'll ask the PhD Tech, who not only understands current HD ignition systems, he's an old fart who actually does go all the way back to rotary dial bikes. And he'll tell me the truth.

Stay tuned.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:09 PM
Car Doc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing a kill switch is good for imo is to shut the engine off in an emergency like when the bike goes down. That's all I can think off because thats the only time Ive used one on a dirt or street bike. my .002 wait a minute I always used them on dirt bikes...

Old 12-19-2014, 01:12 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Doc
The only thing a kill switch is good for imo is to shut the engine off in an emergency like when the bike goes down. That's all I can think off because thats the only time Ive used one on a dirt or street bike. my .002
Current model HDs have a Lean Angle Sensor, and if it detects a lean of more than 45 degrees for a period of longer than onethousandandone, it completely kills the ignition.

So, you don't need to worry about hitting the kill switch. Unless you have an older bike, of course.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Car Doc
Road Master

I do remember once in south dakota getting on the bike after we ate and unlocking the forks etc and it wouldn't crank. humm so I finally figured out some asshat had flipped the switch off probaly laffed his azz off watching me live and learn I guess.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:22 PM
Car Doc
Road Master

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Current model HDs have a Lean Angle Sensor, and if it detects a lean of more than 45 degrees for a period of longer than onethousandandone, it completely kills the ignition.

So, you don't need to worry about hitting the kill switch. Unless you have an older bike, of course.
Ok thanks I didnt know that but makes sense. I dumped my ultra a few months ago but it went down slow because I just couldnt hold it up once it got so far over. So let it down as slow as I could but it started revving up on the way down and I hit the switch quick and killed it. But it wouldn't crank once I picked it back up must have been that lean detector?

Quick Reply: Leave kill switch on?