Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leave kill switch on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 03:09 PM
smokewagon
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leave kill switch on?

Well, I've done it again, cut off the King via the kill switch on the bar and forgotten to turn off the tank-mounted switch, leaving the lights on & killing my battery! When I bought this in '09 the salesperson told me that I shouldn't leave the bar-mounted kill switch on b/c it would drain the battery, and I needed to use them both. I mostly remember to use both switches, but on average I forget and have drained battery issues at least twice or three times a year.
Can I just leave the kill switch on and only mess with the tank-mounted, or will that really give me trouble with draining the battery??

Old 10-25-2012, 03:26 PM
CurtisO
Tourer

I have never used the kill switch on any of my bikes. I just left it on and used the tank switch, and now the switch by the forks.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smokewagon
Well, I've done it again, cut off the King via the kill switch on the bar and forgotten to turn off the tank-mounted switch, leaving the lights on & killing my battery! When I bought this in '09 the salesperson told me that I shouldn't leave the bar-mounted kill switch on b/c it would drain the battery, and I needed to use them both. I mostly remember to use both switches, but on average I forget and have drained battery issues at least twice or three times a year.
Can I just leave the kill switch on and only mess with the tank-mounted, or will that really give me trouble with draining the battery??
I always leave the kill switch on, and start/turn off My bike with the Ignition switch, with no battery problems. Your salesperson was wrong.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:31 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

On my 09 RK I could leave the kill switch on the bars on, and shut the bike down using the ignition switch on the tank panel. The tank panel switch is the "main" switch and will shut everything down when turned off. No foul - no harm.

I might suggest running a cable attached to the left front drivers platform, running it up your pants leg and tying it to your winkie. When you go to get off it would act as a reminder to shut the bike down properly!

Last edited by jeffreydsilver; 10-25-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

This is a hilarious thread where the OP wishes he used the kill switch.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/817878-caution-on-parking-your-ride.html

OP, I am in habit of always turning ignition switch to fork lock. Even if I don't lock it, at least I know lights are off.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:27 PM
smokewagon
Advanced

That would learn me!

Old 10-25-2012, 04:30 PM
smokewagon
Advanced

your ignition switch locks the fork? I always lock my fork when I'm out & about, and almost always at home. If it were the same switch, I'd remember for sure.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:40 PM
06strglide
Advanced

I always use the kill switch and than turn off ignition. once you get in the rountine its automatic

Old 10-25-2012, 04:47 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtisO
I have never used the kill switch on any of my bikes. I just left it on and used the tank switch, and now the switch by the forks.
Me neither............

Old 10-25-2012, 05:11 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

no need to use the kill switch...was only meant to be used in an emergency.

Quick Reply: Leave kill switch on?