Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jim's 131" longevity?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 05:33 AM
Demolitionman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jim's 131" longevity?

Ive got a chance to get my dream bike; a FBI Razorback. I would be trading my 2011 Street Glide for it if i decided to do it. The wife left the ball in my court....but I'm torn. The only thing she is worried about is the mileage. It's an 09 with 25000 miles on a 131" engine. I don't forsee that being a problem, but I felt I needed to ask those who might know. She told me if i waited, we would stick to the plan and order me one new in 2 years, but it was totally up to me. Thanks for the input!

Old 10-27-2012, 05:41 AM
fathog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep your SG, in 2 years it will be worth at least 15 grand and the aftermarket bike will be worth much less.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:31 AM
Mark5
Road Captain

I would wait the 2 years. This one is almost done riding wise so you would have a new to you bike sitting in your garage for three to four months. I would wait, sounds like a good wife too. I got one like that.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:40 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want a jim's!

Old 10-27-2012, 06:42 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

The FBI Razorback is great looking bike, but I wouldn't ride it more than 100 miles. I speaking from my experience with the Procharged 120R SG that I have, especially if you ride 2-up.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Demolitionman
Tourer

Thanks for the input guys. I ride year round. I bought the 2011 in November 2010, and a month later we were dodging ice ruts. So if I bought it, I would get immediate enjoyment out of it. I still think im going to wait. I saw atleast saturday, and thought about it until I said I was not getting it. But this morning I was thinking about getting it again, so i figured I would pose the question. Im glad your wife is like mine, Mark. So many deal with an overbearing wife or gf.

Aviscomi, war about the big engines are not good for longer distances? I usually ride solo bc the wife has her own heritage. Sometimes we bar hop, sometimes we ride 200 plus miles. Your comment is making me think im going to pass totally on even a new one. I can afford 2 bikes just fine, but not a third. Thanks again everyone.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:11 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Demolitionman
Thanks for the input guys. I ride year round. I bought the 2011 in November 2010, and a month later we were dodging ice ruts. So if I bought it, I would get immediate enjoyment out of it. I still think im going to wait. I saw atleast saturday, and thought about it until I said I was not getting it. But this morning I was thinking about getting it again, so i figured I would pose the question. Im glad your wife is like mine, Mark. So many deal with an overbearing wife or gf.

Aviscomi, war about the big engines are not good for longer distances? I usually ride solo bc the wife has her own heritage. Sometimes we bar hop, sometimes we ride 200 plus miles. Your comment is making me think im going to pass totally on even a new one. I can afford 2 bikes just fine, but not a third. Thanks again everyone.
The 120R was fine for distance travel until I installed the Procharger.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:26 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I would pass on ANY bike with a Jims and that amount of miles. Now a 120R or any of the S&S equipped bikes, I would think differently. Jims, in the last few years, have been having some problems with their engines... and in the mean time MOCO came out with the 120 and now S&S has a 124 that will fit 07up.

No brainer to me. That FBI bike looks nice, but I ride like 15-25k a year and wonder about touring comfort?

Old 10-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Demolitionman
Tourer

Stopped by on the way home. The bike started as a 120, but was replaced with a 131. Wife wants to go back and look at it again tomorrow. Ive never ad this big of a problem buying a Harley before.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:27 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would keep what you have and put the appropriate motor in it for your riding style -- you can get the S&S 124 for your bike at a very reasonable price. I would have S&S put in 585 cams instead of the 640; 120r or Jims 131 (new)-- in that order. Option 4 is to have one of the major shops build you a nice torque monster 113 / 117.

I would be hesitant about having 131 with 25k miles on it and use for touring.

My previous 131 was great as a bar hopper and bike night hot rod -- no way would I tour on that bike -- I use my RG w/107 for touring.

I recently took the bike down to Star Racing for the S&S 124 with head work, smaller cam and lower compression. Should be done any day now.

Quick Reply: Jim's 131" longevity?