Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Gear for FLHTCU(Ultra Classic Electra Glide)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 11:50 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,411 Likes on 4,016 Posts

Originally Posted by vzts4q
Welcome to the forum, and if I were to go the reverse route it would be none of the above.
It would be the Baker Drivetrain F6R
http://bakerdrivetrain.com/f6r-factory-6-speed-reverse

That Baker unit seems to be a great set-up. it's only drawback is that it won't fit with a stock exhaust..... but....

I just saw that their site says a version to fit with stock 2-1-2 exhausts will be coming out this winter... interesting...

Old 10-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Livia329
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know how you get on with this.
I'd love reverse on mine lol but I'll have to build the muscles instead.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:27 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you can reach the ground you should be able to back it up, for added leverage, reach back nad grab the saddle bag gaurd and pull up on it (you'll actually be pulling your self down) Give it a try.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Egras2k
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luisan
I don't understand why there are always people offering unwanted suggestions,do they do that just to increase their post count or what?
When someone asks for comparisons, sometimes "neither" can be an answer.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:39 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Egras2k
When someone asks for comparisons, sometimes "neither" can be an answer.
You must be a philosopher,I'm used to stick to the facts.The gentleman was very clear,he didn't ask for other solutions/answers or smart *** replies.He only wanted to know if anybody could have helped him choose between the two systems.He had already decided not to go the other ways (lowering,pushing,pulling or Baker).As for the Baker RG,it's an excellent product, I've read their installation manual and it is much more complicated,more expensive,requires a longer installation time and you have to have special tools to do the job than the other two that the OP was considering.The AIM or Mamba system is also a very good product (made in Japan) but is also more expensive and requires extra parts to be purchased(depending on the year of the bike) and has a brass colored part that I personally don't like.Now,I'm no mechanic but before I buy something I do a lot of research and try to get what I think is the best choice(IMO)in terms of cost/quality/practicality.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:56 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

A lot of trikes use the Champion with positive results, if I were install a reverse setup, it would Champion....

Check our trike section, trike talk forum and a few others...more trikes using a reverse than two wheelers, might get better answers there...

Why HD doesn't include a reverse on their large touring machines ( except the TG) I have no idea...it would be such a nice addition....

Old 10-31-2012, 06:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by luisan
You must be a philosopher,I'm used to stick to the facts.The gentleman was very clear,he didn't ask for other solutions/answers or smart *** replies.He only wanted to know if anybody could have helped him choose between the two systems.He had already decided not to go the other ways (lowering,pushing,pulling or Baker).As for the Baker RG,it's an excellent product, I've read their installation manual and it is much more complicated,more expensive,requires a longer installation time and you have to have special tools to do the job than the other two that the OP was considering.The AIM or Mamba system is also a very good product (made in Japan) but is also more expensive and requires extra parts to be purchased(depending on the year of the bike) and has a brass colored part that I personally don't like.Now,I'm no mechanic but before I buy something I do a lot of research and try to get what I think is the best choice(IMO)in terms of cost/quality/practicality.
You really are jumping to so many conclusions about the OP's request! He doesn't mention therefore exclude Baker, for example, so the discussion to date is entirely valid.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:34 AM
Bullitt59
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps the MC should be petitioned for a reverse option on the Touring models. If it's available on the trikes, it should be available on the tourers.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:01 AM
warking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just out of curiosity, has this ever been done as a factory extra or always aftermarket ? if not factory is it the goldwings that do them from factory ? im sure i can remember as a kid hearing "and they even have a reserve gear !!"

Old 10-31-2012, 07:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by warking
just out of curiosity, has this ever been done as a factory extra or always aftermarket ? if not factory is it the goldwings that do them from factory ? im sure i can remember as a kid hearing "and they even have a reserve gear !!"
When I bought my first Harley back in the 70s, reverse was an option on the Glides. They had a stock 4-speed, or 3-speed plus reverse, for use with a sidecar.

Quick Reply: Reverse Gear for FLHTCU(Ultra Classic Electra Glide)?