Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

Welcome to HDForums.com!

Reply
 
 
 
P
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-30-2012, 07:54 AM
Burak010 Burak010 is offline
Hang Around
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 6
Default Tire size and brand recommendations for Ultra Classic

Hi everyone. I am riding 2003 Ultra Classic for 3 months and its time to change the tires now.

I was confused while trying to make a choice which was between Avon and Michelin Commander II.

After reading dozens of comments from here, I have chosen Michelin Commander II. (please let me know if you have any strong opposite opinions)

My question is; to choose 130-front 140-rear is better than stock (130-front 130-rear) or not ??

Waiting for your advices ??

Thanks in advance
Burak
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 AM
skootchnc's Avatar
skootchnc skootchnc is offline
Elite HDF Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 3,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burak010 View Post
Hi everyone. I am riding 2003 Ultra Classic for 3 months and its time to change the tires now.

I was confused while trying to make a choice which was between Avon and Michelin Commander II.

After reading dozens of comments from here, I have chosen Michelin Commander II. (please let me know if you have any strong opposite opinions)

My question is; to choose 130-front 140-rear is better than stock (130-front 130-rear) or not ??

Waiting for your advices ??

Thanks in advance
Burak
if you go to the Dunlop site... and check out the D-402 spec.... do the math....there isn't a large difference between the OEM tires measuremets, and the others.

Do you want/need white walls? Some folks do... this will narrow your choice.
Avon is made in England
Dunlop is made in the US
Michelin is made in Thailand (haven't seen it stamped on my tires, but have read that here)
Metzler is made in Germany, or Brazil

MY experience... with a 2005 FLTRi... in the hot NC weather, over the "rough as corn cob" NC roads.

OEM Dunlop D-402 rear wore out @ 8.5k
Metzler M-880 rear wore out @ 8Km front wore out @ 20k
Dunlop Elite-3 rears lasted 12-14k, while the fronts lasted 20k
currently on Michelin Commander II. with just over 9k on the pair... rear looks like it's got a LOT of life yet, front looks like new.

I like the "rounded" profile of the Avons, Metzlers, and Michelins.... I find this bike really turns in well, and gobbles up the twistys. I used the Elite-3s for 3.5 years, and about 60k... great tires.. I'd buy them again.... except they have been surpassed by the C II.

I'm running 130 front, and the 140 rear... 41 PSI, and think they are the answer to my prayers.... I even had a Commander II installed on my wife's bike...
__________________
AMA --- SCRC --- MRF --- Wet Butt Riders Assn --- Rhino Riders
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj167/skootchnc/66bonniehires.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-30-2012, 11:43 AM
grbrown's Avatar
grbrown grbrown is offline
Club Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bedford UK
Posts: 22,107
Default

The benefit of using the 140 rear is the increased load rating, which is worth having if you ride 2-up a lot or are very heavy. I prefer Avon myself, but my priority is quality of ride not mileage and I choose them for riding my Harley on British roads!
__________________
'Sir' Graham 5Ps, #1 Gent! Dude?
Harley owner since 1974, Founder & Life HOG Member.
1990 Officially 'Hyacinth' Blue FLHS/2008 S&S V107T, 2007 Buttercup XB12R, 2011 Merlot XL883L, MG ZT V8 281cid.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-30-2012, 11:53 AM
fwb35's Avatar
fwb35 fwb35 is offline
Road Warrior
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Orange, VA,
Posts: 1,350
Default

I went up to the Commander II 140/90/16 on my 99 from the 130, no issues, great tire even though it is made in Thailand
__________________

4th Bat, 37th Armor, 1st Inf Div, Desert Storm vet
Citizen of the Confederate States of America
Member of Son's of Confederate Veterans MC Company A, 2nd Battalion, Virginia
99 FLHT, S&S 97 inch BB, Andrews 37G cams, Daytona TT ignition, Vance & Hines Pro Pipe
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Burak010 Burak010 is offline
Hang Around
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grbrown View Post
The benefit of using the 140 rear is the increased load rating, which is worth having if you ride 2-up a lot or are very heavy. I prefer Avon myself, but my priority is quality of ride not mileage and I choose them for riding my Harley on British roads!
my priority is quality, too. thats why I need the riders' advices...
I could not learn from anyone about the michelin which is better; the miles you ride more or the quality of the ride... to be honest; I am not a guy wants to ride 10k km or more with a pair... the most important thing is the quality of my ride and the quality of the tire when it rains... I know Avon tires are good in dry while I dont know which is better in (michelin or avon both in dry and wet)...
If anyone tested both; please share your comments.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-30-2012, 05:40 PM
TUCCI's Avatar
TUCCI TUCCI is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Glendale AZ
Posts: 8,812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skootchnc View Post
if you go to the Dunlop site... and check out the D-402 spec.... do the math....there isn't a large difference between the OEM tires measuremets, and the others.

Do you want/need white walls? Some folks do... this will narrow your choice.
Avon is made in England
Dunlop is made in the US
Michelin is made in Thailand (haven't seen it stamped on my tires, but have read that here)
Metzler is made in Germany, or Brazil

MY experience... with a 2005 FLTRi... in the hot NC weather, over the "rough as corn cob" NC roads.

OEM Dunlop D-402 rear wore out @ 8.5k
Metzler M-880 rear wore out @ 8Km front wore out @ 20k
Dunlop Elite-3 rears lasted 12-14k, while the fronts lasted 20k
currently on Michelin Commander II. with just over 9k on the pair... rear looks like it's got a LOT of life yet, front looks like new.

I like the "rounded" profile of the Avons, Metzlers, and Michelins.... I find this bike really turns in well, and gobbles up the twistys. I used the Elite-3s for 3.5 years, and about 60k... great tires.. I'd buy them again.... except they have been surpassed by the C II.

I'm running 130 front, and the 140 rear... 41 PSI, and think they are the answer to my prayers.... I even had a Commander II installed on my wife's bike...
says it all
__________________

2011 FLHR ROAD KING
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Hogpro's Avatar
Hogpro Hogpro is online now
Premium Sponsor
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,122
Send a message via AIM to Hogpro
Default

The Dunlops usually last longer but I find all of the other brands mentioned to be sticker and handle better. You have to ask yourself what it is that you are seeking out of a tire. I prefer to have a sticker tire than handles better any day of the week but many people only care about the mileage. I guess we need to know which you are. The Michelin Com II's are the best of both worlds in my opinion as they are constructed similar to the newer Harley bagger tires with a harder rubber in the center and a softer rubber on the sides so they handle well and last. I have a set of them on my Dyna and really like them although there is no way I am going to get the claimed 25K miles out of them.
__________________
HOGPRO WHEELS
(818)886-6545
www.hogpro.com
hogpro@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-31-2012, 07:02 AM
grbrown's Avatar
grbrown grbrown is offline
Club Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bedford UK
Posts: 22,107
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burak010 View Post
my priority is quality, too. thats why I need the riders' advices...
I know Avon tires are good in dry while I dont know which is better in (michelin or avon both in dry and wet)...
I used to ride all year round and now travel widely in Europe and have ridden over there in some of the worst weather in my many years in the saddle - on Avons. I haven't tried current Michelins, but you won't be disappointed with Avons IMHO.
__________________
'Sir' Graham 5Ps, #1 Gent! Dude?
Harley owner since 1974, Founder & Life HOG Member.
1990 Officially 'Hyacinth' Blue FLHS/2008 S&S V107T, 2007 Buttercup XB12R, 2011 Merlot XL883L, MG ZT V8 281cid.

Last edited by grbrown; 10-31-2012 at 07:10 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 AM
Burak010 Burak010 is offline
Hang Around
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grbrown View Post
I used to ride all year round and now travel widely in Europe and have ridden over there in some of the worst weather in my many years in the saddle - on Avons. I haven't tried current Michelins, but you won't be disappointed with Avons IMHO.
thank you very much for the response...
I am still trying to read more comments on both Commander II and AVONs.
Hope, I will find a solution asap. : )
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-31-2012, 10:19 AM
luisan luisan is online now
Road Warrior
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lawrenceville,GA/Rome,Italy
Posts: 1,507
Default

I've just replaced the OEM Dunlops on my Ultra with....another set of Dunlops.I'm not worried about mileage either,I want the best performing tire on my bike and after looking at the various options I think I made the right choice.If you read the comparisons on the Dunlop site it might help you make the right choice.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:19 AM
 
 
 
P
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Sponsors

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.


Internet Brands, Inc.



Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1