Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't start in Neutral?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 10:50 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
Question Won't start in Neutral?

This is on my 2010 FLHTCU 27K miles...

I always park my bike in gear so it won't roll, and start in neutral because that's the way I was taught to start anything when I took Driver's Ed back in 1977. But I digress....

The other day, I was putting uphill in a hard left turn. I stalled the bike, so I pulled in the clutch an hit the starter button. Got nothing. That got me thinking, "this thing USED to start in gear" and I remembered a recent thread here on the topic. So, this AM just for kicks, I tried to start it in first. Sure enough, when the thing is in gear, the starter motor does not fire.

Question to the wisdom of the forum: what to look for and how to fix?

I consider this a safety issue as while I normally start in neutral, there are times (like the above) when the situation calls for the need to start the motor without getting into neutral first.

Thanks all!

Old 11-01-2012, 11:22 PM
sveach
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2011 and I almost always start it in neutral - however, today I was in rush trying to get out of the way for someone so I started it in gear. So I know that the 2011's will start in gear.

I think the 2010's probably do too - my guess is your clutch safety switch isn't working. It should work like this (my last bike, a crotch rocket, worked like this):

1) Bike is in neutral. Clutch safety switch is ignored and bike starts.
OR
2) Bike is in gear. Clutch safety switch is checked, and bike won't start until the clutch is pulled in.

So if your clutch switch isn't working right, then that could cause the issue you're experiencing. I'm too lazy to go get my service manual and check the wiring diagrams, but I would suggest starting there and seeing if you do indeed have a clutch safety switch.

If you do, it's an easy test to just jump that switch with a wire and see if the bike starts. If it does, then you know it's the switch.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:27 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sveach
I have a 2011 and I almost always start it in neutral - however, today I was in rush trying to get out of the way for someone so I started it in gear. So I know that the 2011's will start in gear.

I think the 2010's probably do too - my guess is your clutch safety switch isn't working. It should work like this (my last bike, a crotch rocket, worked like this):

1) Bike is in neutral. Clutch safety switch is ignored and bike starts.
OR
2) Bike is in gear. Clutch safety switch is checked, and bike won't start until the clutch is pulled in.

So if your clutch switch isn't working right, then that could cause the issue you're experiencing. I'm too lazy to go get my service manual and check the wiring diagrams, but I would suggest starting there and seeing if you do indeed have a clutch safety switch.

If you do, it's an easy test to just jump that switch with a wire and see if the bike starts. If it does, then you know it's the switch.
Cool - thanks, wil track that down tomorrow

Old 11-01-2012, 11:31 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

If it was not snowing I would go out and check on mine. I could still swear my bike does start in gear.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:19 AM
tccraiger
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure the kickstand is up...wont start in gear with it down

Old 11-02-2012, 12:36 AM
tccraiger
Cruiser

sorry, I was wrong, my 2007 will start with the kickstand down and in gear

Old 11-02-2012, 12:50 AM
jazzy jack
Road Captain

Adjust clutch and cable as per manual.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:54 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a friend had this problem... his levers(stock) didnt have the tit to push the switch in... he ended up getting new levers that had the tit

Old 11-02-2012, 07:39 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Thanks guys

So, yea - my 2010 does have a clutch switch, little rubber covered dude that is held "in" when the clutch lever is released and pops "out" when the lever is pulled.

I have the electrical manual, and they give a real clear diagram of pins 7 & 12 (Blk/R and Blk) coming out of the harness that comes down the handlebar. Put my mutimeter in continuity mode and get an open with the lever pulled or released. It would seem that the switch has indeed failed. P/N 71620-08.

I'll be calling the dealer for a replacement part in the AM.

Appreciate the insight! This is why the forum rocks.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by imrotton2
..... that had the tit
**** are good....**** are real good!!

Quick Reply: Won't start in Neutral?