Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please explain used harley pricing for me

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 12:27 AM
Gasitman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please explain used harley pricing for me

I am in the automotive business, and I know nothing holds its value. But in looking or a used Harley, some people, and especially dealers want $1000 or maybe even $2000 less than a new bike for a bike that is 3 or 4 model years old. I just do not get it. NADA is out there for a reason, if it says your bike is worth $15000 and you want $18000, personally I think your crazy.

I have been looking for a bike for about 2 weeks, in the off season and I am amazed at the people I talk too. I am down right getting frustrated to be honest.

I cannot justify paying someone more money than what it is worth. Am I wrong? I mean if I have to unload it for any reason, and sell to a dealer, I am not going to loose $3-5000 on a used bike.

Is it just about being patient or what? And when you put all this chrome and stuff on it, that is what you wanted, maybe not what the next person wanted. You cant expect to get it back. There is a local guy selling a used 2002 road king for $18k, they sell use 2012's for that! I see a used road glide at a dealer, for $18k, a 2011 with 9k miles, but then there is private party selling a used 2010 with 18K miles and he wants $19K????

WTF am I missing here? Is everyone on stupid pills or what? I really want a bike, but I just cannot get this crap through my head. I really want a street glide or road glide, maybe a road king. My budget is $14K and a 2009 and some 2010's book at that price. Why is that people think $17k or $18k for a 4 or 5 year old bike is only $2-3k less than new? A 2009 bike is 5 model years old now that the 2013's are out.

Last edited by Gasitman; 11-06-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:41 AM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you are saying. Earlier this year when I was looking for a bike i saw the same thing. All i can say is asking price and reality price are two different things. Typically, if the previous owner did exhaust, air and a few other things that I would want, they may get a few dollars more than book from me, depending on the bike and the mods. The last two bikes I bought were new and I imediately put thousands of dollars into them within weeks to set them up the way I wanted. Do your homework, know what you want and make an offer. It's a tough market for used bikes now so you will be surprized what you can get. An offer will start the dialog...

Old 11-06-2012, 12:59 AM
rbferg
Road Master

Allot of private seller's try to recoup the $$ they've spent on extras and dealers want to steer you towards a new bike. Look up the Kelley Blue Book value, and make an offer based on that if it's where you feel comfortable. There are plenty good deals out there, keep looking!

Last edited by rbferg; 11-06-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:03 AM
Android
Tourer

Dude....go on ebay! You will find hundreds of great deals. If you really have 14K to spend you can find a very nice Road King for that money. I mention the RK cause I had one. I now have a SG 2012 and paid 21K for it in Korea. It is all about how much you want the bike or not.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:06 AM
gdoc89
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the same boat earlier this summer. I had a V-Star 1100 that I paid $9k out the door for in 2004. I put over 55k miles on it in 8 years and it was a great bike but it was time to make a change. I was looking at a '12 Roadglide but just didn't want to bite off that big of a payment....they were asking almost $22k......on top of having to start from scratch with intake, pipes, etc. I found an '08 Street Glide with only 9k miles for under $16k. It had the intake, V&H true duals with fuelpak and throttle pak, and upgraded wheels. I feel I got a great deal. You MIGHT be able to find a SG or RG for $14k but you will probably be looking at high miles. Look at the bright side....if you ever go to sell it, it will hold its value better than most other options! Good luck!!

Old 11-06-2012, 01:16 AM
Sc0-
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Keep Looking, some people are just trying to get their investment back out of the bikes. I bought my '09 FLHT at a good price recently and have been racking up the miles. More recently an '09 FLHX came up for sale at a better price and lower miles but with no upgrades, so just keep looking around. My deciding factors were that it be an '09+ batwing bagger and under $15k and under 20k miles. The FLHT I found was $13.9k and 15k miles, with upgraded suspension, seat, shield, stage1, and had all the factory options for '09. I am glad I made the purchase but am reading up on IPB, Compensators, Primary tensioner, Cam tensioners, anti-theft hardware, oil-coolers, etc...

Old 11-06-2012, 01:38 AM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Shopping for a used bike can be frustrating. I feel ya. But I think your expectations are a little high. A 2010 Road Glide and Street Glide books at 17,550. You'll be lucky to find one for much (if anything) less. Not that it's impossible, it's just that it'll take time and patience to find one at a lower price. But I'm pretty confident you won't find one within your budget. If you know you want either the RG or SG, look at 2007 or 2008 year models. That'll get you within your price point. Or look into a 2008/2009 Road King. Good luck and I hope you find THE bike .

Old 11-06-2012, 02:29 AM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

As others have said... go on ebay and you will find a deal... it may take a little while but they are out there.

Talk with the seller before bidding.... better yet contact the seller after the auction has ended without him selling or reaching his reserve price sometimes they will reconcider after they fail to sell.

That being said... I'll sell you my '02 Heritage for 15k or my '58 servi car for 19k

Old 11-06-2012, 02:56 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most Harley owners add a touch of refinement often unrecognizable by uneducated public; MV Agusta owners display someone else's refinement.

Why compare with automobile manufacturers who pay their customers to buy their products?

Old 11-06-2012, 02:57 AM
Tom T-Bird
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Like everyone else is saying, you will need to be patient. The bike you are looking for is out there. You should not have much of a problem getting the price if you go with a Road King. But if you really want the Road Glide or Street Glide it is going to take some more work. Watch the ads and look for one that has been for sale for awhile. If the seller is really trying to move it you can probably make a deal. But I am not telling you anything you did not know, you said you are in the automotive bushiness. They put out the new frames for the touring bikes in 2009 so I would try to go 2009 or newer. Good luck, welcome to the forum, and hang in there man.

Quick Reply: Please explain used harley pricing for me