Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sandy taketh away

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 03:02 AM
lowleveldriver
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sandy taketh away

:'( Hey guys Sandy was a kick in *** for everyone in the NE here. I'm in Brooklyn, SI New drop, and Rockaway areas got hit hard. I guess if you can read and write on this it's not so bad compare to others.
My question is my 09 and 06 where in 3-4 feet of water in the garage, can they be saved? I really don't want to scrap them. The insurance will never give me aha I put in them. Can they pay me top dollar to fix them?
I dont know shiiittt right now :-\ :nixweiss:
I know I have my life and family, but I'm stuck with this trash now.

Trey

Old 11-06-2012, 04:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Hi from across the pond. Sandy got wall to wall coverage over here and it looked unbelievable what you have all been through. Very best of luck getting ordinary life sorted out.

As for your bikes, I'm sure they could be recovered, however just how far water damage will have got is so uncertain. Thinking on my feet, the worst case I can imagine would be if water got inside the engine and trans, so you could drain them both to see what state the oil is in. If it is clean and uncontaminated there may be hope, if you get out a horrible slurry, you probably have your answer.

Fingers crossed......

Old 11-06-2012, 05:29 AM
03psd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As someone who lived thru Katrina, trust me, get rid of the bikes. Take the insurance $$ and buy something new or used from outside of the effected area. Salt wateris a bitch that the effects of you will keep dealing with, from the inside out, for many years to come.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:35 AM
Runner58
Cruiser

so sorry to read about your bikes and also for what you and your family must be going through right now. Best wishes as you recover!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:44 AM
tkbalt
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03psd
Take the insurance $$ and buy something new or used from outside of the effected area.
+1 - the Insurance company will total them anyway, as repair cost would exceed the value of the bikes in all likelihood. Start researching values so you can have input into establishing what your bikes are worth. In times like these, insurance adjusters want to move claims. If you are reasonable and have information to support your position, they will (or should) listen.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:43 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,785 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Take the advice of most and walk away from the now ( and bigger in the future ) mess that you have at hand ... between the rainwater and the salt water you'll never get ahead of the game ... the corrosion will in everything !

Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with the others saltwater is like cancer it will keep coming at you i would walk away and start over just my .02 worth. Good luck to you and your's!!

Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM
sveach
Intermediate

I feel your pain - chances are I would try to fix it myself too. But keep in mind you have salt water in EVERY electrical connector on that bike. Your grounds are all going to be in horrible shape, you will likely have all kinds of random electrical gremlins from the bad connections all over the place. You would really need to disassemble every connector (removing every single pin), remove all the salt and corrosion, and reassemble all the connectors. Do the same with all of the ground points. Who knows what the ECM connectors look like - not nearly as easy to clean the corrosion off of either.

Who knows where the salt water made it inside your frame, past various bearings, where it's going to rust through eventually.

Going through the engine itself should be pretty easy, just have to completely drain all three holes, flush them out with cheap fluid, and go from there. But I think the electrical issues are what's going to kill you here.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:50 PM
MADHOG
Road Master

Sorry to hear about your situation. As many will say, at least you all are OK, material stuff can be replaced. That said, I would probably take the insurance money and press on…

Old 11-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Python357
Road Warrior
Received 1,584 Likes on 647 Posts

Sorry to here of all that you folks went through out east. Do you know if your insurance company will let you buy it back? Not sure if that works with bikes, they use to let us buy totaled cars back for the salvage value, then we would sell parts off them to recoup some of the loss that insurance didn't cover. Not sure what extras you have on your bikes, some of them may be reusable/salvageable.

A buddy had a pickup ('60's dodge) go through the ice in the winter (Ice was thick enough - it shifted and a crack opened up), pulled it out and changed the fluids right away and had it running in a couple hours - before any rust set in. It was an old plow truck so things like dash lights didn't matter. Also still have a chain saw that went through a flood, still runs great (changed fluids and dried it out ASAP). The problem you would run into is with anything electrical and if it has been sitting for a week now - plus salt water...

Quick Reply: Sandy taketh away