Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Trans bearing failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Another Trans bearing failure

My 08 FLTR made it to 60K miles before the Bearing #8967 decided it had enough taking with it the output gear assy. 35122-06 along with other small pieces parts. I had the bike in the shop for 2 days short of 3 weeks. Thanks to the extended warranty it cost me $50.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Glad to hear you had the esp and all is well.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:31 PM
cdemarse
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some one will be here soon to still claim you lost money on the ESP.... glad you had it. I have put 20k on my 12 ultra this year and have the 7 year ESP with tire and wheel. Already had 2 tires replaced and I'm pretty sure at 20k a year for 7 years I will get my $1850 back.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cdemarse
Some one will be here soon to still claim you lost money on the ESP.... glad you had it. I have put 20k on my 12 ultra this year and have the 7 year ESP with tire and wheel. Already had 2 tires replaced and I'm pretty sure at 20k a year for 7 years I will get my $1850 back.
LOL yea. Even when you consider that on separate occasions I had these repairs done under the ESP.
Compensator, Stator, Starter, Voltage Reg, Frt. Motor mount, wheel bearings, rear sprocket. and rocker cover gaskets.

I'm sure the ESP paid off. The trick is to ride the bike not sit in the garage and polish it and look ate it.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:24 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Curious to know what they said caused the failure. Any info?

Old 11-11-2012, 04:26 PM
cdemarse
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cotton Hill
LOL yea. Even when you consider that on separate occasions I had these repairs done under the ESP.
Compensator, Stator, Starter, Voltage Reg, Frt. Motor mount, wheel bearings, rear sprocket. and rocker cover gaskets.

I'm sure the ESP paid off. The trick is to ride the bike not sit in the garage and polish it and look ate it.
Exactly. Mines def not a garage queen. I didn't spend 20+k to look at that thing.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:33 PM
mnclassic
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cotton what mods have you done on your bike?

I'm getting a little nervous about modding my new FLHTC and some how voiding the ESP. Been reading a few horror stories on here about claims being denied because of mods.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bagman1
Curious to know what they said caused the failure. Any info?
The Assistant Serv. Mgr. Said he blames the REDLINE Shockproof that I'v used for years. Says it holds moisture. LOL This is in a Trans in Phoenix, AZ avg. humidity 5-10 percent 5" of rain a year. Temps over 90 6 months a yr. He forgot to mention all the other trans having the same trouble not using Redline Products.

As for mods, I put on Rush slip on mufflers the 1st. week I had the bike. Installed a K+N air filter element only. Stock tune I don't need any of the BS that comes with a tune.
If I wanted a race bike I wouldn't have bought a Harley. All the other add on's are comfort items. Seat, grips, windshield, type of things. Chrome don't get you home.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cotton Hill
The Assistant Serv. Mgr. Said he blames the REDLINE Shockproof that I'v used for years. Says it holds moisture. LOL This is in a Trans in Phoenix, AZ avg. humidity 5-10 percent 5" of rain a year. Temps over 90 6 months a yr. He forgot to mention all the other trans having the same trouble not using Redline Products.

As for mods, I put on Rush slip on mufflers the 1st. week I had the bike. Installed a K+N air filter element only. Stock tune I don't need any of the BS that comes with a tune.
If I wanted a race bike I wouldn't have bought a Harley. All the other add on's are comfort items. Seat, grips, windshield, type of things. Chrome don't get you home.
Sorry yo hear about about Your Bearing Failure. I think Your Scv. Mgr is FOS. He is just wanting You To use HD lubricants. Thank God for You having the ESP. Good Luck following the repairs.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:44 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Just makes me feel that much better about my ESP.....like any insurance policy.

Quick Reply: Another Trans bearing failure