Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Street Glide and Road Tech Zumo 665

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 05:18 PM
greystorm64
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Street Glide and Road Tech Zumo 665

I have a 2012 Street Glide. I bought it new from the dealer, along with the Road Tech 665 (Zumo 665). I had them install it all and my key instructions were that I wanted to hear the GPS regardless of whether I was listing to FM, AM, XM....

After finally getting the bike, I was told the ONLY way to hear the GPS/XM is to plug the RT Zumo 665 into the Aux input on the front of the radio on the bike.

OK, I could live with this if that was actually usable. It means anytime I actually want to use the GPS, I wont be able to use FM/AM. Fine.

However, doing exactly as they said, hooking the GPS itself directly to the AUX input to the radio, I was able to hear XM and GPS instructions just fine. Right up until about 55 miles an hour or in high wind. the XM/GPS sound never increases as the FM and AM does when the speed of the bike increases.

This makes pretty much the XM / GPS useless unless I am riding around the corner and not going over 55. I found the NIM module online (Dealer said, it never existed, I had to find it for him on the Harley Parts web site and send it to him)

My question is, if they put in the NIM harness, will the GPS/XM sound louder at higher speeds? I have the volume turned up on 665 and the Radio itself, and I can NOT hear the XM/GPS it at high speeds even without a helmet, where I can here the FM just fine (alas, I can't hear any GPS instructions since its not on AUX)

Will the NIM work? or is there a setting I must set for the Audio Gain to adjust for the Aux input based on speed/ambient noise?

Help? This sucks. a lot of money for this, and it just doesn't work.

Thanks much

Gerry

Old 11-11-2012, 07:02 PM
wfayard
Novice

There are seperate volumes for FM and the Zuma. Wait until the little lady in the GPS starts to talk and turn up the volume.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:37 PM
greystorm64
6th Gear

Thanks. I managed to find that. Volume is 100% for Zumo. And all the way up on radio and still can barely hear XM /GPS at low speeds. Drowns out entirely at 50ish

Old 11-11-2012, 09:02 PM
funnythebunny
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Zumo is bluetooth enabled. Why don't you install bluetooth headsets into your helmet? They're fairly cheap, considering how much the Zumo cost you...

Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,406 Likes on 4,014 Posts

Originally Posted by greystorm64
My question is, if they put in the NIM harness, will the GPS/XM sound louder at higher speeds? I have the volume turned up on 665 and the Radio itself, and I can NOT hear the XM/GPS it at high speeds even without a helmet, where I can here the FM just fine (alas, I can't hear any GPS instructions since its not on AUX)

Will the NIM work? or is there a setting I must set for the Audio Gain to adjust for the Aux input based on speed/ambient noise?
I have the 660 RoadTech Zumo and the NIM installed on my Limited. I have no idea about the XM radio part or how the volume compares to using the audio jack, because I've never used or heard either of those. The NIM does work well with my GPS.

I have the volume about 45% on the GPS, or else at slow speeds & stops, it blares through the radio speakers. At higher speeds, 60+, I won't hear the directions unless I turn up the GPS volume.

My solution is to leave it at a comfortable volume for the slower speeds, and when my music mutes at higher speeds, I know to look at the GPS to see what it's trying to tell me.

On a side note, once the NIM is installed, the only way to adjust the GPS volume is by using the radio volume control, WHEN THE GPS IS ACTUALLY GIVING DIRECTIONS. I didn't know that at first and thought my NIM was broken until I got that tidbit from this forum.