Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead (91) connector? Combo Speedo/Tach Install issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Inthewind62
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead (91) connector? Combo Speedo/Tach Install issues

I've attempted to initialize (Copy odometer data) a speedo/tac combo on two occasions, two different units (I returned the first and now have the second) only to have nothing happen when I connect it to the data link connector. No "check" or "OK".

I'm following the instructions to the letter, up to the point in trouble shooting where it tells me to go ahead and install it to check functionality. I wanted to check here (Yes I've done a search ) to see if anyone has experienced a dead data link connector before I waste my time tearing my dash off only to have it tell me it hasn't been calibrated.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Inthewind62
Intermediate
Default Maybe it's a good thing no one really read this!?

Ok, so this was the problem: When the dealer put my stage 1 and pipes on, the plug I was supposed to be using was re-located to the left side panel by the fuses. Nice to know theres another plug (BLACK) with the EXACT same female receptacle under the seat!!! WTF?!?!?!
The BLACK plug is the accessory plug...and the one to download the data is GREY!

So, lets review:

Black plug, (unknown #) under seat with identical connector to the one I needed = BAD
Grey plug, (#91) inside left side panel thats supposed to be under the seat = GOOD

Old 11-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

The data link connector [91] is always on the left side of touring bikes under the panel by the fuses. That's where it's supposed to be. That's where the Service Manual says it is.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:56 AM
Pat Hamer
Intermediate

Weird thing, I have an 05 road king, and speedo shorted out after washing it. I bought this same tach, but the model # ends with B instead of A. Same thing except for there is no KPH on MPH. I followed the install and data link to a T, and when I would ignition I'd get a NO CAL in the LCD, and then that would go away, and it was replaced with NO SPD. It would not transfer the odometer to the new odometer. I'm thinking that if your speedo stopped working, replacing it with this type of Speedo will not work due to the inability to transfer odometer reading of a broken speedo to the new speedometer. I can't find anyone with an answer to this.

I thought this might be an issue, as the old speedo was as if it wasn't there because IT WAS BROKEN (insert Sam Kinison Tirade). Our shop service guy in Folsom checked with the mechanic, and "it's okay, just follow the directions." Engine switch on, Data Link plugged in, no go! I had the old speedo out, and was tapping it and banging it slightly, and I saw LED partially show numbers, they would immediately dim if I stopped squeezing the old gauge. Thinking the ecm possibly sensed the old speedo after doing the Fonz bang and tap on the old speedo, which seemed to allow some juice into it, so I did the transfer procedure again, and something did change this time as it just went to NO CAL, without going to NO SPD.

I'm assuming NO SPD means it isn't sensing a speedo. Well It stopped that, and the NO CAL shows. There is a red light blinking, but then after a bit the red light goes solid and stays on. But still it did not do the conversion. The trouble shooting guide for this particular NO CAL says, normal function, but ads as long as "percentage and ok" show, which they don't. I went ahead and plugged the new speedo into the consul to see if something happened, and the new speedo lit up beautifully, but with NO CAL or something I forget. But no odometer transfer. I'm wondering if I should ride it and go through that 31 mph countdown the document spells out.

I'm going back down to get a speed sensor. Apparently, it could be that issue if the signal lights don't cancel, for one sign. With the bike just leaning on the stand, it doesn't cancel. Somebody said I had to at least lean it or move the steering for it to cancel, which I haven't done. So, I'll check for cancellation leaning and turning the bike. With all the forums out there only about 4 of these issues are on the net, and none of those who had the problem explained how they solved it. These speedo combo's don't work if your replacing a broken one. They should explain this, as there is no refund for them. They seem to only work if you are upgrading. I need to get the odometer reading back, as I'm selling. Any ideas?