Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Dirtball
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GPS mount

I am wondering how many utilize a windshield suction cup mount for their GPS. I have a Garmin in the truck and was thinking of just using the whole setup on the bike rather than buy a new mount. I perfer not to put the GPS on the handlebars as I do not use it that often on the bike but have some long rides planned for next year to areas I have never been to before. If I use the suction cup mount, I can remove it when it is not needed. Good idea or not so good for trips?

Old 12-02-2012, 08:39 AM
nevets61
Road Master
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Worked for me for the first week or so of my ride, then it fell off.. after that I'd remove, clean, lick, remount each day with no problems. Stuck it to the tach lens.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Charlie K
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried it, I mounted the suction cup to the gas cap lid. I had to look down a bit to see the gps, but it did stay in place for the entire day. I have been meaning to try mounting it up on the windshield, have not yet. I did worry about it falling off, so I wrapped the power cord around the handlebars a few times. I figured that might give me enough time to catch the gps if the suction cup did fail.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Bgill
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

IMO: Bad Idea

We have 2 Garmin units (1 in each vehicle) and they continually become dislodged and end up in the console or on the floor.
I use a Leader Motorcycle set up on my Monkey Bars as I wouldn't want to deal with the distraction of my GPS unit becoming dislodged at any speed, my instincts would be to try and catch it and doing so could lead to some very unexpected results opposed to a happy ending.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Jlbflhtc
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GPS Mount

This is the mount I use, I purchased it on Ebay.
Prior to this mount I had a Ram Ball on the handlebars.
It is cost effective and blends perfectly (in my opinion) with the bike, and there is no need to drill holes.

GPS mount-2010-hd-43-.jpg

GPS mount-2010-hd-52-.jpg

Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 AM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

What you want to do does work. Tach seems to be the most secure and clean moist surfaces worked the best for me. I have had mine on my LRS 8 ultra flip for plenty of 4 and 5 hundred mile days. Shakes like a moe foe at idle on the windshield. Tach and gas tank lid are a little more secure and less shake-vibe, but much futher from your line of sight. Hope this helps.
Kris

Old 12-02-2012, 09:01 AM
RevRaz
Tourer

You do know that many of the handlebar mounts are simply 1 or 2 screws right? Wouldn't take much effort to remove the mount when not in use.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Dirtball
Tourer

All,

Thanks for the ideas, inputs and suggestions. I think I will try the suction cup out but on local rides first. Worse thing that can happen is it falls off and I have to buy a new GPS. Darn the luck if that happens. LOL

Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a RAM mount on the handle bar, works great, I keep my mounted. It's not hard to remove, just two nuts and bolts.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 AM
RevRaz
Tourer

This is what I bought yesterday
Amazon Amazon

Why waste $200 when you can waste $7-$15 if you don't like the mount?

Quick Reply: GPS mount