Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 flhtcui

Old 12-02-2012, 04:12 PM
ToyjoHa
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 flhtcui

Problems:
Brake lights and running lights were not working.
Background: No new work on bike for last 8 months.
Fuses Checked:
"lighting" fuse (ATM 15) was bad. replaced it with same. turned on power, fuse snapped just that quick.
Troubleshooting:
Unplugged the rear lights before the aftermarket brake light flasher. Turned on power, Still snapped.
Took off flairing unpluged the running lights. Turned on power, fuse OK. However the brake light stays on. Even when I remove the relay.
Brake relay is clicking as it should, if I push the front or rear brakes. However the brake lights stay on.
I know everyone is going to say check the bulb.
Here is my problem, if it was the bulb or lighting to the rear as the issue then why did the fuse blow even when it all was disconnected and how come it does not do it now that the front running lights are disconnected.
If it is a problem with the lever or the rear switch then why does it stay on when the relay is removed?

Old 12-02-2012, 04:30 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,943 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Chasing a shorted wire sucks. Check for a chaffed wire inside the fairing if that's where you unplugged it and didn't blow the fuse.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:46 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Loosen up and reposition your throttle and brake assembly, betcha it will work ok. I think it's your front brake switch.

Last edited by drukanfu; 12-02-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:32 PM
ToyjoHa
Intermediate

The brake relay switch still clicks when I pull the front brake lever or push the brake pedal. So if the front switch was "stuck" wouldn't the brake relay be stuck on and not make the clicking noise?

Old 12-02-2012, 06:20 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

maybe....just do it.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:28 PM
philb252
Advanced

I kept popping running light fuse- I found the insulation chafed on the wire leading to the front fendertip running light (near where it passes through the front fender) under a wire-tie that held it to the brake line. Good luck.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:32 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you by chance have the throttle or master cylinder of not long before this started happening?

Old 12-02-2012, 07:33 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by philb252
I kept popping running light fuse- I found the insulation chafed on the wire leading to the front fendertip running light (near where it passes through the front fender) under a wire-tie that held it to the brake line. Good luck.
I had this same problem one time.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:09 AM
ToyjoHa
Intermediate

I did no work before this. It just happened.
If I understand the way relays work is the switch is activated and then the brake light comes on. So if the switch was stuck on then the relay would be activated which it is not. So, what is the point of tearing apart something else and chance breaking it, if logic says that it cannot be the issue.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:22 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like you have 2 problems, brake and run lights. You found a short in the front fender liight wire so may have solved the running light problem. Electrical shorts are difficult to trace so the best you can do is find a logical place to cut your work in 1/2. If fixing the fender light solved the blown fuse you have solved 1 of your 2 problems. Maybe the brake light has been stuck on awhile and you just didn't know it. Put it all back together and find the logical split 1/2 between the tail light and fairing. I would unplug the aftermarket brake module and plug back factory and if you have brake lght on off then the module may have failed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 flhtcui