Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm CONFUSED..... (Fork Oil)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 12:13 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts
Default I'm CONFUSED..... (Fork Oil)

Done the search on this webiste regarding fork oil, and I'm more confused than when I started about the weight of the factory oil in newer touring bikes.

I have a 2012 Road Glide Ultra. But for the diving under breaking, I'm happy enough with the suspension. Not going to do any mods at this time. However, I changed the fork oil last night in hopes of addressing the front end dive under breaking. Thinking that the "E" type HD for oil was 5 wt., I put 10 wt. Bell Ray in them. I haven't buttoned up the console yet, so it's not too late to make changes before I put it all back together.

In doing my due diligence, I'd read that the forks come with 5 wt., and upon further reading I'm seeing that some claim that they come with 10 wt. Anyone out there know for sure?

I am 180-185 pounds, and don't need a 15 wt if they come with 5 wt. If the forks come from the factory with 10 wt. however, then a 15 wt. might be what I need.

Any input from the guys that KNOW would be helpful. Please, and thanks!

Old 12-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

H-D catalogs their fork oil weights as light, medium, heavy, and extra heavy duty. For anyone that has changed fork oil on almost every other brand of motorcycle the fork oils are rated numerically, ie: 5wt, 10wt, etc. Ya, it causes a bit of confusion.
Your 10 wt oil will probably be a little light and you'll likely still have some significant fork dive. If it's not too late, change it out to 15 wt. Bel Ray (or the equivalent). That's what I put in mine and it all but eliminated fork-dive and really smoothed out the bumps.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:28 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
Done the search on this webiste regarding fork oil, and I'm more confused than when I started about the weight of the factory oil in newer touring bikes.

I have a 2012 Road Glide Ultra. But for the diving under breaking, I'm happy enough with the suspension. Not going to do any mods at this time. However, I changed the fork oil last night in hopes of addressing the front end dive under breaking. Thinking that the "E" type HD for oil was 5 wt., I put 10 wt. Bell Ray in them. I haven't buttoned up the console yet, so it's not too late to make changes before I put it all back together.

In doing my due diligence, I'd read that the forks come with 5 wt., and upon further reading I'm seeing that some claim that they come with 10 wt. Anyone out there know for sure?

I am 180-185 pounds, and don't need a 15 wt if they come with 5 wt. If the forks come from the factory with 10 wt. however, then a 15 wt. might be what I need.

Any input from the guys that KNOW would be helpful. Please, and thanks!
Nope! I'd suggest just trying what you have in there and seeing how you like it. The opinions here will be all over the map.

I'll tell you my experience. When I changed mine on my Limited, I put SE Heavy in it based on what I had read in this forum. Most of the guys that did so were happy. Not me! While it did improve the brake dive, it compromised high speed traction in my opinion. To me it felt like the front end was "pogoing" over bumps in high speed turns. The heavier oil slowed the front end response over the bumps.

I then drained out about 50% of the SE Heavy oil and replaced it with the Type E so now I have a 50/50 mix in there. Overall much better, to me, than the straight SE oil. At the next change I'll probably go back to Type E.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:50 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I also went pure SE oil and didn't like how firm it was. My front is lowered 1.5" which I know is a huge firmness factor but I went with a 50/50 mix of SE and stock and am very happy with the results.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:58 PM
blackjeep
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I also did 50/50 mix and really happy with results

Old 12-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Baffler1
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

50/50 - nice to know

Old 12-03-2012, 02:30 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Bike comes with 5w, adding 10w will stiffen the ride and not improve handling, imo.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:37 PM
speckfisher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also am a big fan off the 50/50 blend (HD Type E / SE Heavy) - I have a old timer harley mechanic friend.....that told me the bike comes with 10wt....."He said that Type E is similiar to a 10 wt and SE Heavy is similiar to a 15 wt...oil viscosity." I was going to switch my bikes fork fluid to the straight SE Heavy and he advised, it will be a weee bit stiff for your touring needs....the 50/50.....I am very pleased....., I blend prior to pouring into the forks......but this is a subjective subject cause everyone's riding needs differ......

Last edited by speckfisher; 12-03-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:46 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by CigarCritic
Bike comes with 5w, adding 10w will stiffen the ride and not improve handling, imo.
Originally Posted by speckfisher
I use the Screaming Eagle Fluid.....I mix 50/50, 10wt & 15wt and really like the way the forks feel....Straigh 10wt is still not firm enough, straight 15wt was to stiff for me.

I also changed my shock oil from a 5wt to a 10wt
Where do you guys come up with these weight figures for the HD oils when not a single one of them is identified as such?

Old 12-03-2012, 02:53 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use 50/50, works well

Quick Reply: I'm CONFUSED..... (Fork Oil)