Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Discreet Ipod Solution

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 05:26 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Cheap Discreet Ipod Solution

This was free for me since I owned the components already. I had purchased an FM transmitter to play my Ipod through my car radio and had a remote that attached to the Ipod that allowed me too remotely do basic operations for my Ipod. The Tour-Pac came with a power point in it and was also located very close to the radio antenna allowing for great reception from the FM tiny transmitter. I used Velcro to attach the remote to the fairing and I was done; no exposed wires just tune the radio to the station for the transmitter hit play and you’re good to go.

In my car the transmitter would sometimes have issues with radio interference but so far I’m not having any issues wit it located in the Tour-Pac (it’s very close to the antenna). I also had an issue with the Ipod Classic skipping (hard drive version) when I placed it in the fairing lowers that too seems to be gone; a side note I never had a problem with the Classic when it was in my pocket when riding.

This remote is similar to what I have except mine is an older version and it’s been on my bike for three years in all kinds of weather without a problem.
Buyijet.com

FM Transmitters can easily be found in any automotive department for less than $40 dollars, some will recharge your Ipod at the same time and have other features you choose what works best for you.

Basic iJet remote

The Dash

GPS mount

iJet remote module

Ipod protected in a small case I had lying around.

There are nicer solutions but this one is pretty cheap and I like that I have no wires hanging off the bike (aux port). I have to remember to stop the player with the remote otherwise it will keep playing. If not connected to a power source keep the screen brightness low and on for 2 seconds or less, no reason to see it anyway.

I was having issues with the Classic skipping and for some reason in the trunk I've had no problems at all.

Thought some might like this cheap method, but you'll need a power point for it to work; standard on the Limited.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:49 PM
bigwavdav
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want discreet, just get the 50 dollar plug from Iron Aces. It plugs right into power and into your Aux port. Then I ran the cable up to inbetween the inner fairing and the windshield. then put the cable in a little slit I cut in my windshield bag.

Very very discreet...

Old 12-04-2012, 07:33 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigwavdav
If you want discreet, just get the 50 dollar plug from Iron Aces. It plugs right into power and into your Aux port. Then I ran the cable up to inbetween the inner fairing and the windshield. then put the cable in a little slit I cut in my windshield bag.

Very very discreet...
No wires exposed at all, nothing to put away when I get off the bike, except maybe putting the remote in my pocket, the rest is in the Tour-Pac. I don't own a windshield bag; setup was free for me and one less thing I have to remove from the bike when making a stop and I know my Ipod is protected from the elements.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:50 PM
bigwavdav
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wasn't trying to knock it. I can't hit the Fwd button on mine unless I pull the Iphone/Ipod out so that is cool. I just usually throw pandora on and roll.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigwavdav
I wasn't trying to knock it. I can't hit the Fwd button on mine unless I pull the Iphone/Ipod out so that is cool. I just usually throw pandora on and roll.
No problem and now you've given me another idea I can run Pandora from my phone and use it the same way but no remote, thanks.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:48 PM
xtek95
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This gave me an idea. I bought an FM transmitter, plugged it into the 12v jack in the Tour Pak, linked up via BT with my I-phone in the handlebar cradle and was jammin to my favorite tunes in no time. Gr8 idea!
: )