Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery light

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 09:20 PM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery light

Hope this doesn't get too long. 07 ultra. check engine light started coming back on for a few seconds after starting. Dealer said it was a "low battery" code. Few days later while riding the red battery light on the dash came on and the volt meter dropped to 11 volts. Started heading for the dealer and before I got there the red light went off and volt meter went back to 14 volts. Dealer checked for codes again..."low battery" again. Rode it for a few hundred miles (now in Fla) and it happened again. I turned off the ignition while still rolling and then turned it back on and bump started the bike. Light went off and 14 volts. Pulled the battery and had it checked. They said it was good. Anyone have any ideas? Could it be the regulator? I am not liking riding a bike I can't trust

Old 12-09-2012, 09:30 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

Could possibly be the stator or regulator, or it could be a loose connection, check all cable connections and make sure they are tight, then ride it and see if the light comes back on, it may be something as simple as a loose connection!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:31 PM
rleggs
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My bet would be the regulator. My 04 did basicly the same thing but wouldn't act up until hot.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:34 PM
kpb46
Road Master

Originally Posted by pswomack
Could possibly be the stator or regulator, or it could be a loose connection, check all cable connections and make sure they are tight, then ride it and see if the light comes back on, it may be something as simple as a loose connection!
Thats kinda where I'm at now. I checked and re-tightened everything when I pulled the battery. One more time and i'm buying a regulator

Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 PM
HAWGMAN
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Battery Light

I have a 07 FLHTC and HAD the same issue while on a road trip. Stopped in at the HD shop and they started it, and the light did not come on. Had it checked and everything tested O.K. . Rode another 20 miles and it came on again so I headed back to the motel, put it on the trailer to avoid being towed in from breaking down in the middle of no where and came home.
Turned out to be ANOTHER BAD voltage regulator.
I had the original voltage regular replaced in the middle of last summer.
I know that the Mother Company says that the heat from the engine on the 07 models will not hurt your scooter, but EXTREME heat has to effect it, just ask my billfold !!!
Happy Trail's !!!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 PM
kpb46
Road Master

Originally Posted by DaHawgman
I have a 07 FLHTC and HAD the same issue while on a road trip. Stopped in at the HD shop and they started it, and the light did not come on. Had it checked and everything tested O.K. . Rode another 20 miles and it came on again so I headed back to the motel, put it on the trailer to avoid being towed in from breaking down in the middle of no where and came home.
Turned out to be ANOTHER BAD voltage regulator.
I had the original voltage regular replaced in the middle of last summer.
I know that the Mother Company says that the heat from the engine on the 07 models will not hurt your scooter, but EXTREME heat has to effect it, just ask my billfold !!!
Happy Trail's !!!
any regulators better than OEM?