Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried V&H Monster Rounds - loudness?

Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone tried V&H Monster Rounds - loudness?

Currently running a pair of Kury Crusher "Mellows" on my stage 2 96" Bargelide and find them to be just a bit too LOUD. I have gutted the cat on the OEM header and this may be why-- not certain though.

I need something a bit quieter than the Mellows and am wondering if anyone has run the V&H Monster Rounds and if so would mind commenting on their volume when:

highway cruising; and
ramping up hard /decel through the gears.

I know this is very subjective but jsut trying to get an idea of what's available and a bit quieter. Love the sound of the Mellows going up and during decel. Sounds fantastic! Just a bit too noisy...

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:45 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My MRs were bought off a forum member who complained they were too quiet. He didn't remove the fiberglass wrap from the baffles. I bought them, and a short time later they started getting louder. Guess some of the wrap started to burn away. Over 5k miles later, they are nice. Low rumble that can be heard for blocks, but not obnoxiously loud (low tones travel better than high tones).

I wouldn't have anything else on my bike.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:49 PM
jester12102
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 Ultra Limited with monster rounds and V&H power duals. The sound is great! Not too loud and you can listen to the stereo at cruising speeds, better performance and they look awesome. I get lots of compliments.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:52 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Monstuh rounds with V&H headers on my road king and love the sound, very deep low rumble and when you want to bark it is there. I am going to be getting a pair for Limited in the sig pic that has Klock werks slip ons with fuel moto headers. The limited will sound even better when done. I love them

Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried V&H Monster Rounds - loudness?-015.jpg   Anyone tried V&H Monster Rounds - loudness?-008.jpg   Anyone tried V&H Monster Rounds - loudness?-022.jpg  
Old 12-06-2012, 06:03 AM
11glide103
Tourer

Originally Posted by jester12102
I have a 2012 Ultra Limited with monster rounds and V&H power duals. The sound is great! Not too loud and you can listen to the stereo at cruising speeds, better performance and they look awesome. I get lots of compliments.

Same here, Love the look and sound of mine as well! Had Rineharts but they were too tinny sounding. The Monster Rounds are low and mellow unless you hit the throttle hard then the come alive. Still very low rumble though.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:11 AM
Cougar58
1st Gear
Default V&H Monster Rounds

I had the stock equip replaced with V&H Monster Rounds and love em. The diffference was substantial and it took a while to get used to them but now they're fine.
The sound is awesome.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:24 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Installed the Monster Rounds on my new '12 and was slightly louder than stock, more rumble at idle. I took the baffles out and removed the fiberglass and got a little louder but had a tinny sound. Called V&H to ask if they offered a louder baffle for the Monster Rounds and was told as long as the catalytic converter was still installed the sound waves would be cancelled before the muffler. V&H suggested True or Power Duals and put the fiberglass back in. I purchased the Power Duals, returned the fiberglass and have a nice rumble at idle followed by a mellow growl at highway speeds. I believe the True duals will provide a little louder bark at the expense of Torque and horsepower.

I run Power Duals and Monster Rounds on my '12 Limited and V&H True Duals and Monster Ovals on my '03. excellent plating, great fit and finish, and I really like the way the 220 degree heat shields look like large diameter head pipes and meet perfectly with the muffler.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried V&H Monster Rounds - loudness?-pictureflhtk1.jpg   Anyone tried V&H Monster Rounds - loudness?-harleys.jpg  
Old 12-06-2012, 09:13 AM
WIHD55
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I absolutely love the sound of the Monstor Rounds. V&H X pipe header. Nice deep rumble, barks a little on a full throttle accel and NO annoying straight pipe type sound. I will be putting these on the next new bike when purchased.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Everything stock except MR slip-ons on my SG and I'm very happy. Not too loud, just a nice deep growl. For me, I wouldn't want to do anything else to it to make it any louder.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:00 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I took the fiberglass wrap off of my monster rounds, more rumble. Not obnoxious at highway speeds or any speed that I have achieved thus far. Took 30 minutest to pull the baffles and unwrap them, and reinstall them.
Okay, yeah I did take a short ride without the baffles in..... Sounded like a car with open headers, too loud.
Check out my you tube clip in my sig for my rounds at idle with new TW 222 cams.

Cheers,

Mark

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone tried V&H Monster Rounds - loudness?