Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay got my Big Crank, now what

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Cigarmessenger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay got my Big Crank, now what

I'm replacing the battery in ny 2005 Road King Classic. I have the instructions from the owners manual printed for seat removal. I know how to remove the saddle bags. Will I need any special tools to remove the seat and remove and replace the battery. On a one to ten scale my mechanical skils are a good solid two! Is this something I can do? How difficult is it to replace the seat after it is off? When the battery is disconnected will my fob and EFI still work correctly?

Old 12-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Take it back to where you bought it and tell them never to sell you anything again.....

Old 12-15-2012, 01:55 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,145 Likes on 21,332 Posts

You'll do fine..
Look at it as a learning experience..

Old 12-15-2012, 02:03 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

On a scale of 1 to 10, replacing a battery is difficulty level #1. With mechanical skills of #2, it meens you are over qualified! Grab a screwdriver and get to work!!

The only thing you might not know is to ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL FIRST AND RECONNECT IT LAST! Good luck and have some fun!!!!!

Old 12-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Its easy to do. You don't really need any mechanical apptitude to remove the seat. When removing the battery make sure you don't ground the positive side to the frame by hitting the frame with the wrench while removing the battery cable bolt. Remove the negative cable first then the positive. 10mm bolts normally. Don't use the wrong size wrench. Its metric for these bolts. I'd recommend permanently removing the strap that goes over the seat if it is stock with the strap and it is still in place. Then buy a knurled seat screw to hold the seat on after your done. You'll never need a wrench to get the seat off again! Your confidence will soar once you do this. Take your time. You'll be fine.

Last edited by Rickr01; 12-15-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:11 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I really feel sorry for the people who do not have the knowledge to do the simplest things when it comes to maintaining their vehicles. But I guess the dealers have to pay the overhead some how. I still get dizzy when I hear people paying $300 for a service at a dealer knowing that their only getting some fluids & a filter for that price.

BUY a SERVICE MANUAL for YOUR BIKE and some BASIC TOOLS and just remember how the parts came off so you can reinstall them in the reverse order. Take pictures if you have too for reference.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't know I have never had a big crank!!!

Old 12-15-2012, 02:43 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jswerve
I don't know I have never had a big crank!!!
Is that why you bought a CVO, to compensate...LMAO.....Sorry, I just couldn't resist......

Old 12-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Is that why you bought a CVO, to compensate...LMAO.....Sorry, I just couldn't resist......
Yes it is how I have handled it my whole life

LMAO that's funny right there, I don't care who you are

Old 12-15-2012, 03:04 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cigarmessenger
I'm replacing the battery in ny 2005 Road King Classic. I have the instructions from the owners manual printed for seat removal. I know how to remove the saddle bags. Will I need any special tools to remove the seat and remove and replace the battery. On a one to ten scale my mechanical skils are a good solid two! Is this something I can do? How difficult is it to replace the seat after it is off? When the battery is disconnected will my fob and EFI still work correctly?
Always disconnect the ground cable first. No problem with the fob on and alarm on pre 07 bikes. Just make sure the alarm is not armed when you disconnect the battery. If you don't and you have the HD siren you will be sorry.

Quick Reply: Okay got my Big Crank, now what