Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on picking a ride....

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Romin Card
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help on picking a ride....

Hi all.

New to the HDForum. Have been reading for awhile soaking in as much info as I can. I now am looking for some thoughts.....

I have been riding for about three years.... started with Suzuki Maurder 800 and moved on to a Yamaha Roadstar. Have sold them both and now looking to getting a Harley Touring model. I have test road several but have not rented any. Most of my riding is couple hours of Kentucky back roads. Couple times per year a trip down to the dragon and once a year some 2000 mile week long adventure with the guys. Looking to get my wife to ride with me some as well.

I am down to about handful of choices.

1. Used 2010 Road Glide Custom denim black with 96 engine. Decent prices wich leaves some money for upgrades perhaps a 107 with cams and headwork... (top my brother-in laws new CVO Road kKng and buddy's CVO Street Glide).

2. Used 2012 Ultra Limited cherry red/merlot.

3. Used 2012 Road Glide Ultra in ember red.

4. New Road Glide Custom in hard candy orange.

5. New Street Glide in ember red.

I am struggling with the used bikes (don't know how they were broken in and typical cost for used around here is only 2-3 thousand less than new). Being winter might get the 2012 a bit cheaper. The Street Glide fit's me nice. I love the look of the Road Glides. The Road Glide Ultra hate the windshield as it distorts my vision and the Road Glide Custom wants to rip my helmet off.

Looking to keep OTD at around $23,000.

I have some time until I need to purchase. Looking for thoughts and negotiation tips.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by Romin Card; 12-19-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To fulfill the trips and the wife riding more, this is easy, Road Glide Ultra, and problem solved, but I may be biased.....

Old 12-19-2012, 06:28 PM
KGlideVivid
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely recommend renting each model, preferably for a whole day each. That way you can put each through the paces and start getting an idea about which ones feels right for you. That's what I did and then bought with confidence and never looked back. Good luck.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:30 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

the 'custom' models ( have an X in the model ex: FLHX) have 12" shocks as opposed to 13" so you loose 30% suspension travel.

this may matter to you.

other than that the differences between models is the amount of plastic and radio, some badges, maybe wheels.

the basic chassis and drivetrain is the same.

unless you are getting a great deal on a used bike, go for new and the 2 year factory warranty piece of mind.
save the performance mods until the warranty is done. ( do not bother with the ESP warranty)

the rider experience can be vastly different batwing vs shark vs windscreen ( road king).

that is a decision better left to you.

I know what I prefer.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-19-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:33 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Ultra limited gets my vote , and the ESP has bought me a motor ' rear y pipe and a starter so sometimes it pays but its insurance , if you use it its good , if you Don't its a wast

Last edited by 1st 96 ultra; 12-20-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:39 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Romin Card
Looking to get my wife to ride with me some as well.
Take each bike for an extended ride WITH the wife! HAPPY WIFE EQUALS HAPPY LIFE!

Old 12-19-2012, 06:42 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm partial to the Road Glide Custom but outfitting it to keep a wife happy (I remember, I had one of those once & once was enough for me! LOL!) can put you over Road Glide Ultra price pretty fast. Almost always cheaper to buy an Ultra and make things detachable than to add to a Custom or Street Glide.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:48 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

I'm a batwing guy, go new Ultra or Ultra Limited!

Old 12-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Glidedsternfan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sooooooooo...

...lemme make sure I got this.
You want other members of an international forum, who you've never met, tell you which Harley you're gonn like the best.
OK, here's whatcha do, go to your nearest Harley dealer, pick the motorcycle you like the most, ask the salesman if he can have someone take it outside...
AND RUN YOU OVER WITH IT!
Buy what YOU like! NOT what someone else, especially someone you don't know, likes.
If you can't figure it out, it wasn't meant to be!
Save your money, buy a car. If, that is, you can figure out which one of those you like best.
Good luck.

GSF

Old 12-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st 96 ultra
The Ultra limited gets my vote

Quick Reply: Help on picking a ride....