Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth thru HD Radio and Headset?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 10:01 PM
websterdan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bluetooth thru HD Radio and Headset?

Ok, I've got the HK head unit w/intercom and CB. Is there an item that I can pair my smart phone thru to talk and listen on Harley's headsets?
Does the Harley Zumos doe this???
I've tried other Bluetooth devices and the mics just pick-up back ground noise, wind...
I Did do a search and didn't find my specific answer in 200+ threads.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I use a zumo 550 on my bike. The zumo has the bluetooth capability, so it pairs with my iphone...which I keep in the tour pak. I have audio from the zumo hardwired to the back of the HK unit. You can also send the audio into the hk unit from the front panel 1/8" stereo plug on the lower right. I modified my radio so I wouldn't have a cable plugging into the front of the radio...plus this little female jack is known to be a tad fragile after repeated plugging and unplugging. OK, all of this gets you receive capabilities with your bluetooth enabled phone.

To achieve transmit or "talk" capability, I purchased the HD BOMM unit and installed it under the faring. All that is required for install is to tap into a couple of wires that are part of the wiring harness for the HK radio. All of the information you will need is at this link, plus info on how to modify your HK radio to add a rear aux port:

http://www.hdbomm.com/

So with this set-up, I can use the CB, intercom, listen to tunes, and answer or make phone calls if needed through my headset. The HK unit must be set in the aux input position for this to work. I play tunes from a large SD card that I insert into the zumo. So the zumo is central to all of this.

I have both HD and J&M headsets. The HD works better on the CB, and the J&M is better with cell phone transmit audio and music sound.

I also think that if you want to pay the price, HD can do most of this for you with their interface. Not sure about cell phone capabilities, but they can do the rest. As with everything else they do for you, it gets expensive if they do it.

Last edited by Lowcountry Joe; 12-29-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:37 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Zumo 660 will do what you want provided you have the interface, and go into the AUX port in the front of the radio.

ZUMO will be a bluetooth, navigation system, music system (with SD card or internal memory). It also has a feature that allows you to choose how many miles you want to go before you start lookimg for fuel. When you hit that mileage, it will alert you and give the locations of gas stations near your location. It also has all the HD shops in the US pre-programed.

Not to mention, it comes with an automobile mount that lets you use it in any other vehicle you choose.

Bill

Old 06-17-2013, 04:17 PM
nekkisr
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Lowcountry and billnourse. I recently had the Zumo 665 installed by HD into my 2012 FLHTK, added the NIM, and synched with my Droid Spectrum. The HDBomm interests me due to the fact that when I'm not moving, others can hear me clearly on the bluetooth cell. When I get on the road, I hear that I sound like I'm underwater and unintelligible. My service manager @ HD hasn't heard about this and admits he's not well versed in getting cells to work with the HD headset. He was going to talk with the local H.O.G. members Saturday, 6/15, to get their thoughts. The main reason I spent the bucks for the 665 was to make and receive calls while touring.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:05 PM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

nekkisr,

I have the same issue with total noise while moving. Works clear as a bell when I stop though from what I understand. I can live with the call notification and then pulling over if it is one of the few important ones to call back right away but will be interested to hear of your results if you do go with a modification.

Thanks

Dave

Old 06-18-2013, 05:38 AM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 203 Posts

If you havent, take a look at the Cardo Scala systems. It won't interface with the HK units, but has crystal clear calls and intercom while going down the road. It is also A2DP (Bluetooth audio streaming) capable. I use the scala Q2 Multiset Pro.