Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security Light (Red Key) Comes On While Riding

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:03 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Security Light (Red Key) Comes On While Riding

I noticed over the weekend the red key security light would come on sometimes while I was riding down the road. What does this mean?

Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

What year and model? Probably a dead battery in the FOB

Old 01-08-2013, 01:24 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

2011 SG.
I just read a similar thread and one post asked if they had LED's without a load equalizer.

I just installed LEDs with no load equalizer.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb
2011 SG.
I just read a similar thread and one post asked if they had LED's without a load equalizer.

I just responded to your question on the other post:
I have the Custom Dynamics LED turn signals and load equalizer. In the instructions it states that the load equalizer balances the load or draw of the LED lights due to a lower amperage draw of the LED's vs. incandescent bulbs. The load equalizer slows the blink rate of the lights to the flasher's blink rate (slower). It also serves the purpose of eliminating trouble codes sent to your ECM if you are running with no load equalizer. I suppose it is possible.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:42 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb

Is that when the problem started? If so then I guess that would be a good place to start.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:53 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

First time I've been able to ride since changing the bulbs. I guess it's possible.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:44 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb
I noticed over the weekend the red key security light would come on sometimes while I was riding down the road. What does this mean?
i had this happen on my 12 CVO RG, start up the bike, red key come on red key go off, then about 10 seconds later, red key back on and stayed on. i always do the walk around and check all the bulbs lights and horn before jumping on the bike so i was puzzled as to why the lite was on. .turned out i had a front turn signal bulb that was working sometimes and not others, only figured it out when i went to make a left turn and the left blinker flashed more rapidly than the right blinker. Pulled the bulb, replaced it with new bulb and the red key light went out.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Billf
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I beleive the security light comes on when there are trouble codes. I'll attach a document that was posted on this site a while ago that I saved and found very helpful. I don't know if it will work on the newer bikes, but you can give it a try.

Attached Files
Old 01-08-2013, 10:06 PM
pastime
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I switched to LED turn signals on my bike, the parts guy and the tech (I asked them both about HD or non HD lights) both warned me that non HD systems need a load equalizer or I would experience exactly what you described. I realize others may have offered similar response, but I hope this gets to the point. I hope you have good luck getting it resolved.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

Here's what I found out:

I installed 1157 type LEDs (front amber, rear red) from SuperBrightLEDs. $30
I also installed 4 smoke bullet lenses. $10
The red key light would come as soon as I tried to use the turn signals. The signals appeared to work normal, but the red key would come on. If I didn't use the turn signals the red key would not come on.
I installed a Custom Dynamics load equalizer (stabilizer), and now everything works perfect. No more red key light.

Quick Reply: Security Light (Red Key) Comes On While Riding