Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zumo 660/665 Center fairing mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 02:03 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Zumo 660/665 Center fairing mount

Hey guys.. I know I read somewhere recently (included pics) of a guy that mounted his 66x GPS in the center of his fairing which 1.) allowed him to maintain all 3 windshield pouches and 2.) made for better viewing of the GPS when riding instead of having to look to the left side where the GPS mounts to the fairing. I just put my painted inner fairing on and I only want to do this once so I'm not using the HD fairing mount kit. Someone out there has to make a similar kit that will mount in the center just above the speedo and tach.

Thanks in advance,
Ultra

Old 01-09-2013, 09:52 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I just internally wired mine on my 2012 SG which has 14" apes. It was a pain, but I was able to pull the wire through the handlebars without cutting anything.

I had my 550 mounted on a custom mount next to my left switch housing. I liked it there because it puts the GPS up higher and in line with my view of the road.

Now I will be able to mount my 665 in the same location.. Awesome. let me know if I can help you out. Just PM me.

Murph

Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i really like my set up - i have used it almost a year now & it's been perfect for me - I can see all the gauges, doesn't block out anything - the GPS is easy to read -

Old 10-27-2014, 06:49 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by murph
I just internally wired mine on my 2012 SG which has 14" apes. It was a pain, but I was able to pull the wire through the handlebars without cutting anything.

I had my 550 mounted on a custom mount next to my left switch housing. I liked it there because it puts the GPS up higher and in line with my view of the road.

Now I will be able to mount my 665 in the same location.. Awesome. let me know if I can help you out. Just PM me.

Murph
hey murph.. I'm back at it again.. lol... only almost 2 years later. Got some pics of the way your setup is sir?

Old 10-28-2014, 05:46 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My sig pic is an old pic with a Streetpilot GPS in the middle. Now I have a Zumo 550 and a WS pouch to the right of the Zumo and nothing to the left.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Just chipping in with my two penny worth. If you ride with a passenger regularly, consider putting your gps off-centre. I did that, simply because it was convenient, only later discovered that Mrs B can see it easily. Keeps her interested and in busy traffic or awkward situations we can both navigate, as she gives me prompts over the intercom. We never planned that, but it works very well.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:06 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
Just chipping in with my two penny worth. If you ride with a passenger regularly, consider putting your gps off-centre. I did that, simply because it was convenient, only later discovered that Mrs B can see it easily. Keeps her interested and in busy traffic or awkward situations we can both navigate, as she gives me prompts over the intercom. We never planned that, but it works very well.
great idea grbrown.

What I was thinking about doing was something along these lines.

taking a perfectly good square ram mount, cutting it down to fit the area just center of my 2 gauges as shown below. Behind that area is pretty wide open so I can use another piece of metal stock to properly secure it so as to not crack my fairing. Then using the rest of the ram mount setup to mount the GPS directly in front of my center windshield bag and up out of the way of being able to see the gauges. I can do a "reach-around" like my wife does if I need something out of the center bag.

My concern is the 4 or so " of the ram mount needed to do this and the vibration rendering the GPS useless if I can't see it while it sits there and dances around.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 10-28-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:51 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Hey guys.. I know I read somewhere recently (included pics) of a guy that mounted his 66x GPS in the center of his fairing which 1.) allowed him to maintain all 3 windshield pouches and 2.) made for better viewing of the GPS when riding instead of having to look to the left side where the GPS mounts to the fairing. I just put my painted inner fairing on and I only want to do this once so I'm not using the HD fairing mount kit. Someone out there has to make a similar kit that will mount in the center just above the speedo and tach.

Thanks in advance,
Ultra

Here ya go. These people are great to deal with.

http://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/str...umo-gps-mount/

Old 10-28-2014, 09:02 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by shooter5074
Here ya go. These people are great to deal with.

http://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/str...umo-gps-mount/
good solution and thank you sir but NutZ would have to be NUTS to pay $125 for that.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Eglidegoodies have a wide variety of solutions available, where I got my handlebar mount.

Quick Reply: Zumo 660/665 Center fairing mount