Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"American Iron" mag Readers? & '07 Touring Riders?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 07:58 AM
FLHTCU2007Ken
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "American Iron" mag Readers? & '07 Touring Riders?

Anyone check out the Feb '13 issue and have an '07 Ultra? The article about six speed tranny noise mentions a "fix" to quiet the fifth gear chatter by upgrading the rear wheel pulley to a rubber mounted one (IDS sprocket kit #40287-07) on pg. 42 of American Iron Feb 13 issue.

Has anyone done this and does it work? I'd like some input before I purchase this "upgrade." Thanks so much.

Regards,
Ken

Old 01-11-2013, 08:59 AM
ACRblaze
Tourer

Subscribed

Old 01-11-2013, 09:05 AM
highwayking
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHTCU2007Ken
Anyone check out the Feb '13 issue and have an '07 Ultra? The article about six speed tranny noise mentions a "fix" to quiet the fifth gear chatter by upgrading the rear wheel pulley to a rubber mounted one (IDS sprocket kit #40287-07) on pg. 42 of American Iron Feb 13 issue.

Has anyone done this and does it work? I'd like some input before I purchase this "upgrade." Thanks so much.

Regards,
Ken
Yes, I had one put on my CVO Ultra shortly after the part hit the catalog back in 2008. Since then I have put over 30K miles on it without any issues. It did stop the 5th gear clatter on mine. H-D was running an "elbow grease" program at the time where they threw in an hour's worth of labor if you bought the part and had it installed at a Harley dealer. I'm sure that program has lapsed by now. If you search this site, you will find that not every '07 touring bike had the 5th gear clatter. Yours may be one of those. As the article stated, the '06 Dynas were the first models with the six gear cruise drive but didn't exhibit the clatter. The reasoning was attributed to a different pulley and higher revs. Your riding style may be such that you ride your bike at higher rpms in fifth gear than most, thus you may not experience the clatter. Hope this helps.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:06 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

5th gear sound,not bad on my bike,added the ids for sprortser to lower the gearing so ive bought two. worth it. lots of posts on this

Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Victor F
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've not had any 5th gear issues on my 07 Ultra.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 AM
FLHTCU2007Ken
Tourer

Highwayking & voodoodrug,

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I've been living w/the clatter since I got the bike in May '11 and after almost two years I'm glad I stumbled on this "fix."

Next step: contact my indy mech. and see how much for parts & labor.

Thanks again,
Ken

Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 AM
mcso
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Iso Drive system installed 2007 Street Glide

The chatter in 5th was more down on the rpms. Not chugging but slow and steady I could hear it and it was distracting. I had the ISO drive installed and the noise is gone. I don't know that I saved any parts by doing it but when metal sounds are gone in my small brain something is better.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:18 AM
ndfrspd
Cruiser

I did this a couple of years back on My new to Me Street Glide, nite and day difference. This should have been a recall. I think all 08 and newer touring come with the IDS (cush drive) from the factory. ndfrspd

Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 AM
ken863
2nd Gear

I have installed the IDS and it made a world of difference. No clatter at all anymore. I recently had a SE compensator installed and had to replaced the transmission main shaft bearing. After the changes it clattered like hell in 5th and 6th. Ordered the IDS, installed it, and was amazed at the difference. Highly recommend anyone with a 07 to upgrade this part.

Ken
Brandon, MS
07 ultra classic

Old 01-11-2013, 02:40 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHTCU2007Ken
Highwayking & voodoodrug,

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I've been living w/the clatter since I got the bike in May '11 and after almost two years I'm glad I stumbled on this "fix."

Next step: contact my indy mech. and see how much for parts & labor.

Thanks again,
Ken
I added it to my 07 sometime in 08. While I didn't have the clanking 5th the bike seemed smoother.
If you can take your rear wheel off you can do this yourself. Buy the IDS from an online dealer for extra savings. Good time to change the pulley to
a 68T also.

Quick Reply: "American Iron" mag Readers? & '07 Touring Riders?