Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for Restoring "New Bike" Paint Shine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:59 AM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Advice for Restoring "New Bike" Paint Shine?

I was in the dealer the other day and commented to an employee that all the used bikes in their showroom shine as well as the new ones. He told me for $150 their detail department would do to my 2006 FLHX what they do to all used bikes that go on their showroom floor.

My paint is not damaged. But no matter how I clay bar, wax, etc. I cannot get the paint to "pop" with a mirror like shine. I hate to spend $150 for something I could do myself with the right products and procedures.

Any guys with experience to offer in this area?

Old 01-18-2013, 12:07 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I use a system I bought from AutoGeek along with their Wolfgang polish and sealer. Of course the initial outlay is far more than the $150 your dealer wants to do your bike, but you'll be able to detail it when ever you want.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:15 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,382 Likes on 4,003 Posts

I use Adams products on my bikes and vette, all black paint.... but it's the procedure that's more important than the products.

After you clay bar, make sure you "polish" before you wax or seal. I will sometimes have to polish twice... once with a swirl remover and then with a fine polish.... after that, it's time for waxing.

There are some hand polishes out there, but a good orbital polisher will do a great job and be safer for most. A buffer will get the best results... but only if in skilled hands....

Old 01-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 259 Likes on 168 Posts

I think a lot of that showroom shine you see has to do with lighting and surroundings in the showroom, I detailed my last trade before taking to dealer, man that thing looked better than it ever did in my garage.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:32 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Softy 103
I think a lot of that showroom shine you see has to do with lighting and surroundings in the showroom, I detailed my last trade before taking to dealer, man that thing looked better than it ever did in my garage.
I agree. I keep my bike clean but am not a fanatic about it. Not too long ago, I traded my '09 RKC. While we were doing the paperwork for my new scooter, they rolled my '09 inside and said it was so clean they just put it on the floor. My old bike looked a lot better in the showroom than my garage.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Tee Bagger
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got the black box from turtle wax...didnt have high hopes...but WOW!!! it looks better than the day I bought it!!! If you have a black bike the black box is a must!!!

Old 01-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
the procedure that's more important than the products.
After you clay bar, make sure you "polish" before you wax or seal. I will sometimes have to polish twice... once with a swirl remover and then with a fine polish.... after that, it's time for waxing.
There are some hand polishes out there, but a good orbital polisher will do a great job and be safer for most. A buffer will get the best results... but only if in skilled hands....
Yep the old clear coat gets scratched this is why it looks so dull. That is why you need to polish it. Whenever you polish something you are removing some of the finish to remove the scratches. I would start out with rubbing compound then hit is with a scratch and swill remover, I also use a buffer, but the rubing compound with a buffer need special care and you need to practice on your wife’s car before doing your Harley.
Then hit it with a wax.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:40 PM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
you need to practice on your wife’s car before doing your Harley.

Now that's good advice, right there.

Thanks for the input... keep it coming, guys.

Recommendations for specific brand or type of polishing compound, swirl remover, etc.?

Old 01-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by RPS1981

Recommendations for specific brand or type of polishing compound, swirl remover, etc.?
Thanks I needed a laugh!!

Old 01-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RPS1981

Hey guys, need to keep the lady happy if you polish her car, maybe she will wax your Harley;-)

Quick Reply: Advice for Restoring "New Bike" Paint Shine?