Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decat Pipes

Old 01-19-2013, 06:16 PM
JDSporty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Decat Pipes

I have a 2012 street glide. Looking at decatting pipes. Can't afford to do full stage 1 at this time. If i decat the pipes, use stock air cleaner and add RC Gatlin Chrome slip-ons. Do i need a fuel tuner?? Will this work at all?? I would think just getting the cats out would help the bike tremendously. I was at a dealership today and a guy was picking his bike up that just had the stage ! done. Sounded good as hell but he walked out $1800 lighter. That's just too steep for me. Thanks, for any input.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:27 PM
chainsaw123
Tourer

I believe you will only need to remapp if you do the intake. What you want to do will help a bit but not like adding a good intake and tuner. I am running decatted stock pipes, fuel moto stage 1 intake and wild pig slipons with a power vision tuner pre loaded with a map from fuel moto. You shouild check into the wild pigs. Mine were like $285.00 and look great and sound very nice.

I am going to change it all out when I have the coin but for now, it was much much better than stock sewing machine.............By the way, I decatted my own pipe. It is not hard at all. Look up some threads here as someone shows step by step how to do it. Do NOT cut the pipe in half. Cut out the square panel method and you will have zero realignment issues.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 174 Likes on 133 Posts

I am currently running a decatted head pipe with a set of V&H fishtail slipon mufflers. I also have an S&S Stealth air cleaner installed with a set of XIED's to manage the fuel enrichment. Bike runs a lot better and cooler than the stock configuration and well under the $1800.00 price tag mentioned.

My ride is a 2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Old 01-19-2013, 06:58 PM
JerryS63
Cruiser

Call The Fuel Moto crowd do the wrenching yourself and be at around 1000.00. If you can replace your license tag you can do a Stage 1. You will be very happY

This does not include the de-cat. That is a little more complicated unless you weld.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:34 PM
2011FLHX103
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JerryS63
Call The Fuel Moto crowd do the wrenching yourself and be at around 1000.00. If you can replace your license tag you can do a Stage 1. You will be very happY

This does not include the de-cat. That is a little more complicated unless you weld.

This has been debated time and time again. You don't need to weld to take the 'cat' out of your stock headpipe. You can use a drill bit and get everything out quite easily (30 minutes and you're done). Buy a set of slip ons and hold off on the A/C until you can afford a tuner.

I second the suggestion to get in touch with Fuel Moto. Did my Stage 1 with their gear.

Kevin

Old 01-19-2013, 10:36 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011FLHX103
This has been debated time and time again. You don't need to weld to take the 'cat' out of your stock headpipe. You can use a drill bit and get everything out quite easily (30 minutes and you're done). Buy a set of slip ons and hold off on the A/C until you can afford a tuner.

I second the suggestion to get in touch with Fuel Moto. Did my Stage 1 with their gear.

Kevin
what he said! 1 inch x 16 inch paddle bit takes a little while to do and you get it all out, no problem. just don't breath any of the dust. oh yea, hold on to the drill tight.

Last edited by hardheaded; 01-20-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:03 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSporty
...I would think just getting the cats out would help the bike tremendously...
What do you mean by helping the bike tremendously? What are you trying to accomplish?

I wouldn't begin anything until those two questions are answered and fully understood.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:31 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Contrary to popular belief the cat is not a significant restriction to exhaust flow, until you start overwhelming the stock head pipes (nearly impossible with stock cams). It does make heat in the collector and reduce exhaust sound if those are your concerns. An air cleaner is around $150 and nice like new used slip-ons can be had in the $200-$300 range (lots of guys change them like girls change outfits). That could leave ya some change for a decent tuner and tune, which will make the biggest difference in performance.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 01-20-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:03 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 455 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Contrary to popular belief the cat is not a significant restriction to exhaust flow, until you start overwhelming the stock head pipes (nearly impossible with stock cams). It does make heat in the collector and reduce exhaust sound if those are your concerns. An air cleaner is around $150 and nice like new used slip-ons can be had in the $200-$300 range (lots of guys change them like girls change outfits). That could leave ya some change for a decent tuner and tune, which will make the biggest difference in performance.
What he said.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:03 PM
chainsaw123
Tourer

Originally Posted by hardheaded
what he said! 1 inch x 16 inch paddle bit takes a little while to do and you get it all out, no problem. just do breath any of the dust. oh yea, hold on to the drill tight.
In my opinion, what you guys are doing is merely drilling a hole in the cat material. Having cut a panel out of my cat, I dont see any way at all that you have all the material out, not even close. With my panel removed, I had to chip, tear, scrap and grind ALL of the material out so that when I had the panel welded back up the surface was devoid of any little strips of the metal catalyctic material. I could imagin that leaving so much material that you would be leaving "could" possibly cause metal on metal tinny sounds as the exhaust pulses through the chamber.

Just my 2 pennies worth. Do as you want to your bikes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Decat Pipes