Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decat Pipes

Old 01-21-2013, 02:09 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Get a new cat-less header pipe and some Xied's and your good to go do the ac someother
time and ride it.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:26 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac69
Trust the ones that did it with the paddle bit. It removes everything. Until you do it you will never agree i guess. Probably even with a pic you wont agree.
That pic proves absolutely nothing. If you have had one of these cut in half you can clearly tell that a paddle bit stuck in the end of the outlet in no way shape or form will remove all the material. You cant achieve the angle required to remove it all. I'm sure your getting a lot of it out but definitely not all of it. What kind of pizza is that???

Old 01-21-2013, 02:35 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Leave the cat alone. It won't help performance at all. If you wear boots and long pants (and your passenger does too), the heat is not an issue, even in the summer.

Get a better flowing air cleaner (the biggest choke point), some pipes and a tune (or download) and let it go at that.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Sarge1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trispeed
yep, getting rid of the cat will do nothing for performance or heat (while you're riding). Look at it, it's below and behind your feet, how can you get ANY extra heat when riding??Air flow will move the heat back behind you, right?
I can't feel it at all (2011 FLHP) but I wear boots and long pants; if you're gonna wear flip- flops and shorts, ANY bike is gonna roast you. Just sayin' :-)

I would agree with you on the performance part, but I will disagree completely about the heat. After de-catting mine, the heat on my right thigh decrease significantly. And yes, I could still feel the heat on my thigh while riding at speed. It was less noticeable in a colder environment, but in 70/80+ degree weather... it didn't matter if I was moving or sitting still. That is the ONLY reason I choose to do it. I did not see feel any major increase in performance and to be honest, it didn't really do much to increase my exhaust note. If I take the slip ons off... then yes. Its much louder. But I only ran it like that to check for any exhaust leaks at the heads before I completely put it back together.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:48 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarge1
I would agree with you on the performance part, but I will disagree completely about the heat. After de-catting mine, the heat on my right thigh decrease significantly. And yes, I could still feel the heat on my thigh while riding at speed. It was less noticeable in a colder environment, but in 70/80+ degree weather... it didn't matter if I was moving or sitting still. That is the ONLY reason I choose to do it. I did not see feel any major increase in performance and to be honest, it didn't really do much to increase my exhaust note. If I take the slip ons off... then yes. Its much louder. But I only ran it like that to check for any exhaust leaks at the heads before I completely put it back together.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree completely. Exhaust is a little louder, or different, not sure which. But the heat is definitely more tolerable.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heat Living in florida, i agree with the heat advantage. When I bought my new touring bike, I wouldve removed the cat purely for that advantage (had i not bought an 09). I had rented TC 96" touring models with cats and the heat was noticeably worse than my 09. I ride with boots/jeans ALWAYS and insist that passengers wear jeans and boots (sneakers at minimum), FWIW

Sound Having heard two bikes with the same slip ons, one with the catalytic converter still installed, I would agree with assertions that removing the cat will provide additional increase in volume/deepness when you install slip ons. I have also heard exhaust manufacturers state that removing the slip ons can be the answer if a customer "expected more" (as far as volume/tone) from installing their slip ons. This is partially subjective though, because sound is in the ear of the beholder.

Performance The performance (on a stock or stage 1 bike) is a nominal change that the rider will not feel. Ive seen stage 1 dyno sheets of '09 (no-cat) and '10 bikes with the same motor/tuner/slip ons/ac and the numbers are generally the same, with maybe a couple more hp on the cat-less (which could be attributed to variation of bike/tune/weather/temp/etc). From what I understand, it is not restrictive enough to noticeably hinder performance until you are in the 100hp+ range.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:00 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
That pic proves absolutely nothing. If you have had one of these cut in half you can clearly tell that a paddle bit stuck in the end of the outlet in no way shape or form will remove all the material. You cant achieve the angle required to remove it all. I'm sure your getting a lot of it out but definitely not all of it. What kind of pizza is that???
you can achieve the angle with the drill bit and you can run a wire though the cross over pipe and tell there is nothing in it. i have a small dental mirror that i stuck in there with a light and after working on 4 different bikes that pipe is clean. the cat material starts breaking up and most of it falls out of the pipe. i did'nt think it would work either until i gave it a shot, but works good and so much easier than cutting and welding, plus you not losing any strength in the pipe maybe causing cracks later.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:12 PM
sftdyna
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDSporty
I have a 2012 street glide. Looking at decatting pipes. Can't afford to do full stage 1 at this time. If i decat the pipes, use stock air cleaner and add RC Gatlin Chrome slip-ons. Do i need a fuel tuner?? Will this work at all?? I would think just getting the cats out would help the bike tremendously. I was at a dealership today and a guy was picking his bike up that just had the stage ! done. Sounded good as hell but he walked out $1800 lighter. That's just too steep for me. Thanks, for any input.
i also have a 2012 SG with a decatted headpipe modded stock mufflers and screaming eagle intake with only FL xeids and my glide rips!! No popping, pulls hard from idle to redline, and i get 48 mpg.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:14 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Leave the cat alone. It won't help performance at all. If you wear boots and long pants (and your passenger does too), the heat is not an issue, even in the summer.

Get a better flowing air cleaner (the biggest choke point), some pipes and a tune (or download) and let it go at that.
my 103 was so hot i rode my evo alot last summer. dumped the cat and it was like another bike. i could feel the heat off of the cat going down the road, and i do wear lace up boots and jeans all the time. that's the dumbest thing harley has ever done was to put the cat in the header, it melts brake switchs and wires and your foot.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:23 PM
sftdyna
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trispeed
it won't help performance in any measurable way; there's no proof anywhere in the great wide world of the internet that removing the cat on a 2009+ touring bike will help performance.
Do you feel heat from the cat in your car?? How can you feel it when riding your bike, it's behind and beneath you. When you ride the airflow blows all the hot air backwards, right??
Well i can provide some evidence! two touring bike's bought new modded the same except one had the cat gutted, if you rode them both you really wouldn't notice to much in the way of performance but the one with the gutted cat feels smoother and sounds much stronger. Also the difference in oil temp alone was almost 20 degrees. Now i weigh 40lbs more then my buddy and when our bikes were stock he would pull me by a bike length, but now i take him by three so some may not feel the difference but it is absolutely there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Decat Pipes