Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD SE Pro Super Tuner Question

Old 01-19-2013, 03:29 PM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HD SE Pro Super Tuner Question

When I bought my 2008 Street Glide from my local dealer I had them install a SE Pro Super Tuner. At the time they said they would keep it "on file" for me as it was a very important item that needed to be safeguarded and it would be imperative that they had it for certain tuning adjustments. It sounded fine to me so I left it with them. Then a couple of days ago they called and said I needed to come pick it up due to some remodeling that they were doing at the store. I went and picked it up this afternoon and the girl at the service desk where I picked it up told me that it would be a good idea if I carried with me when I went out town. I've never heard anybody suggest that I do that and I need to hear it from somebody here on the Forum that I would trust more than her.

I would really appreciate some input one way or another since I'm more clueless than her. THANKS IN ADVANCE !!!!

Old 01-19-2013, 03:35 PM
MichiganRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No reason to carry it unless your going to have some tuning done on your trip!

Old 01-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Well, they used the hardware and cable you picked up to load a tuning calibration into your ECM. I would also request a copy of the calibration file (from their computer) currently in your bikes ECM. I suppose you could hook up the unit and get the data from the ECM, but not sure. Those HD tuner units are so proprietary and in some cases cumbersome that very few tuners know what to do with them these days. That hardware you picked up is "married" to your bike, so it is worthless to anyone else.

If you ever wanted or needed to make any ECM calibration changes, you would need the interface unit and cable they gave you (and a computer). That's probably why they said to keep it handy.

You can always purchase a Power Vision (if you need to tune in the future) and I believe it will do everything and much more than the HD unit was ever designed to do. I am sure others will chime in on this as well.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:56 AM
RBowers
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My dealer told me also to take my SEST with me when out of town because if you have an issue and another dealer can't get your bike running and they reflash your ecm to stock specs it would lockout your race tuner making it useless and causing you to have to spend more on another unit and a retune.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:02 AM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everybody!!