Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lighter Touring Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 12:37 PM
satman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighter Touring Wheels

Does anyone know of any wheels for 2012 Road Glide (non ABS) that are substantially lighter than stock? I asked PM at Sturgis this year which wheel design they sell is the lightest (I would guess Heathen) - The dude shrugged his head and said I don't know and nobody has ever asked that question. When I got home I emailed them and got no response - so I guess they don't want to respond. When I look in the Moco wish book I kind of like the looks of Agitator and especially Anarchy wheels for their looks and potential weight saving. When I replaced my worn out tires I weighed the front and rear wheel assy - 40 lbs fr and 55.4 lbs rear - I think the suspension would work much better with lighter wheels and discs - I have Ohlins 3-3 on the back and am thinking of double cartridge front forks. I know lighter rotating weight wheels would improve braking, acceleration and mileage. Whaddaya think??

Old 01-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I am totally with you on this. I'll be watching for ideas. Thanks for bringing this up.

Was that weight with or without tires?

Old 01-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by satman
....... I think the suspension would work much better with lighter wheels and discs - I have Ohlins 3-3 on the back and am thinking of double cartridge front forks. I know lighter rotating weight wheels would improve braking, acceleration and mileage. Whaddaya think??
They absolutely will work better, but will you be able to tell the difference? I am thinking of ditching the spokes so I can go tubeless but I really like the look of the spokes, just not the cleaning and tubes. Lighter would definitely be a benefit.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:34 PM
satman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
I am totally with you on this. I'll be watching for ideas. Thanks for bringing this up.

Was that weight with or without tires?
That was with a wornout (15,000 miles) stock Dunlop rear and a pretty good front. Front weight included both discs and no axle etc. Rear included cushub and disc - basically everything that turns on the stock bike. I think higher performance and good looks can go hand in hand - when in Sturgis I try to visit vendors and I have been amazed at how much some custom wheels weigh.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:39 PM
satman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rwhisen
They absolutely will work better, but will you be able to tell the difference? I am thinking of ditching the spokes so I can go tubeless but I really like the look of the spokes, just not the cleaning and tubes. Lighter would definitely be a benefit.
I would guess the lightest stock wheels you can get are probably the chrome profile spoke wheels - the rim is chromed aluminum

Old 01-27-2013, 01:46 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 143 Posts

Since the tire, rotor, & cush drive pulley set-up is about half that weight on a rear tire, even if you lose 20% of the wheel weight you aren't going to see a dramatic change by losing 5#. Your theory is correct, but if you're worried about weight you probably shouldn't have bought a Harley bagger.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:45 PM
satman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
Since the tire, rotor, & cush drive pulley set-up is about half that weight on a rear tire, even if you lose 20% of the wheel weight you aren't going to see a dramatic change by losing 5#. Your theory is correct, but if you're worried about weight you probably shouldn't have bought a Harley bagger.
Well I love Harleys thats for sure and this Road Glide is good one - I just want it to be a little better. The Anarchy wheels are 18 in the rear and 18 up front - I think the 18 rear tire is probably a couple pounds lighter than the 16 (maybe I'm just hoping) and I would maybe buy a composite disc to save some more weight - Hell I would give up the cush hub to save some more - every HD I've owned up to now hasn't had one and I can't say I missed it on previous HD's. Up front the discs used on the Anarchy set up are way lighter than the stockers - just look at em. The fact that HD puts on the Draggin Bagger shows the front wheel must be way lighter cause weight is everything in drag racing.

Attached Thumbnails Lighter Touring Wheels-anarchy.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 05:10 PM
Corndog
Cruiser

Can't go wrong reducing un-sprung weight.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by Corndog
Can't go wrong reducing un-sprung weight.
amen brother!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 PM
satman
Cruiser

I asked a dealer in Springfield what the weights were of the anarchy and stock wheels - he said he would call HD and get me the numbers. I will post if I learn anything

Quick Reply: Lighter Touring Wheels