Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No fuel pump noise on startup

Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 AM
TheDarkKnight
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No fuel pump noise on startup

I left the switch on my 2009 Ultra Classic on Accessories overnight.

There was no activity when I tried to start up the bike after switching to off and back to ignition.

I left it hooked up to a battery tender overnight, but the status light stayed amber (not solid green or blinking green).

When i tried to start the bike, the lights were very dim and nothing else,

I figured the battery was not charging, so I took it in and got a replacement.

I installed the new battery and still the bike wouldn't start although it seemed like the lights were coming on as it should.

I did notice that the fuel pump was not engaging and making that whirling noise. The engine cranks, but goes no further. Checked the fuel tank and made sure there was fuel in it. The indicators showed it was half full, but it was displaying the fuel remaining display.

Today I will look at the fuel pump fuse as well as other fuels and see it any are burned out. Otherwise, I may have a fuel pump issue.

Any thoughts on this?
'

Old 02-03-2013, 10:59 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

first off your old bat was probley ok , a bat tender is not a charger , you said the bike turns over so it sounds like the kill switch is ok , was the bike running before , if so check fuses but don't really see why a fuse would blow , check the crank sensor plug up in the front ot the motor , someone just had a post on here about having problems with that

Old 02-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A battery tender is not designed to "charge" a battery but merely to maintain it's charge. You might have been able to charge the old battery and gotten away with it.
As for the fuel pum,p you may find that the pump relais under the fuse box is cooked.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:36 AM
hamnhog
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Scaredofrain
A battery tender is not designed to "charge" a battery but merely to maintain it's charge. You might have been able to charge the old battery and gotten away with it.
As for the fuel pum,p you may find that the pump relais under the fuse box is cooked.
+1. Just had an issue with the bike cranking and not starting and it turned out to be the fuel pump relay. That's the second failed relay I've had in just over four years (the other was the headlight relay). Buy a spare for $6 and keep it handy for troubleshooting.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:31 PM
TheDarkKnight
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hamnhog
+1. Just had an issue with the bike cranking and not starting and it turned out to be the fuel pump relay. That's the second failed relay I've had in just over four years (the other was the headlight relay). Buy a spare for $6 and keep it handy for troubleshooting.
Originally Posted by Scaredofrain
Originally Posted by 1st 96 ultra
first off your old bat was probley ok , a bat tender is not a charger , you said the bike turns over so it sounds like the kill switch is ok , was the bike running before , if so check fuses but don't really see why a fuse would blow , check the crank sensor plug up in the front ot the motor , someone just had a post on here about having problems with that
Thank you for viewing my thread and posting the comments make a lot of sense.

Yes, the old battery was probably ok. I should've used a real charger than a battery tender.

I do think that it's good to replace the four year old battery anyways, since the battery on my sportster gave out a little after three years.

ANyways, I checked all the fuses and all seemed fine.

Then, I went back to the battery and double-checked the screws and connectors! Guess what? I failed to lock in the ECM connector yesterday when I was removing the top caddy to get to the battery. I found that I didn't need to remove it, but didn't lock it back in place.

I put everything back together, turned on the kill switch and I heard the whirl inside the tank! Then the start button worked like a charm!

Again, thank you for your suggestions and comments!

Old 02-03-2013, 12:45 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Glad that worked out for ya! Good thing to come back and report the outcome,too!

Old 02-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
Glad that worked out for ya! Good thing to come back and report the outcome,too!