Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 RKC How to tell if my TC 88 has the 95 kit and cams? also MM EFI q's

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 PM
knightenforcer
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2001 RKC How to tell if my TC 88 has the 95 kit and cams? also MM EFI q's

Installed V&H fishtail slip ons. Hooked up the PC III usb to my laptop and found out that it has a custom map (from dealer or previous owner) for SE 95 kit flat tops, SE 203 cams and stage I ECM. I was also wondering why the Prev Owner installed a Dakota Digital speedo interface? the wheels seems stock so I'm guessing PO also changed gear?
I did not get the above info when I bought the bike (pre-owned, less than a month).
Is there any way to tell if it has the SE upgrades? It does run quick off the line, and not a slouch. I only have little ride time as it still winter here and temps are 22-29F
BTW, I also notice the engine is a bit louder, shakes at idle more compared to my previous TC88. Motor mounts are all good. Would this be a result of the 95 kit and 203 cams? I do have videos on my sig link if anyone wants to check or listen to the engine/ exhaust.
Also, Not sure if it's normal but it seems that the Magnetti Marelli ECM made the engine idle fast between 1500-1800 rpms after a short ride today. It did this for a few minutes then went down on its own to about 1000rpms. (It was cold about 27-29F, but I did let the bike warm up for about 10mins or so prior to the ride) The engine oil temp was around 190-192 from the lcd dipstick. Any MM EFI Issues I should watch out for ?

-

-

Old 02-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

There's no easy way unless you take things apart. Other than that, asking the former owner is the only way I know of. Possibly check with the dealer who did his service.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Tanker2
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I had the same problem on my 1999 Ultra Classic. Talked to the original owner and he said it did have a big bore kit. I was 3rd owner. Harley can check back in their records and see if it was done at a HD shop. How ever the shop would have to of turn it in and some times the don't keep very good records. Depends on the dealership. I had them run mine on the dino just to get the readings. It looked like from that it did have a big bore kit. They also found it had a stage two setup. Any way that's the only way I ever found out anything. But I'll tell you one thing, it ran alot better then my new 103 with stage one does. Just had more torq, probably the cams.

Now for some info you might not want to hear. As far as your M&M fuel injection goes, they always have had problems with the slow idlle. It will fast idle like you said it did. That's normal. Should then go to about 1000 RPM, just like you said. However mine would be like that for awhile, then it would drop off and start idling slower. Might work great for 5000 miles then get slower. Always had problems with it at any altitude at all. I live in lowa so usually wasn't a problem. In the mountains wouldn't hardly idle. Real pain in the ***. One of the reason's I finally traded it off. The other reason is the information I'm hearing is Harley isn't supporting M&M fuel injection any more. So once the parts are gone, their gone. I had an extra M&M setup I bought on Ebay and the dealership I traded with really want it, because they had an older bike in for repair they couldn't get parts for the fuel injection. I'm sure someone will jump on here and say I'm full of it, but I'm just sharing the info I been hearing. That came from a tech I know that works for an HD dealer. So you might want to find an extra M&M setup on Ebay. They go pretty cheap. I also found on mine, once the fast idle starts to slow done. I other words the screw for fast idle backs out from vibration the fast idle slows down, so will the slow idle. Funny part is they are two different settings. Any way I would adjust the fast idle back up and it would always help the slow idle. Weird I know, but that's how mine worked. Get a manual and it shows you how to adjust them. Hope this helps.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Tanker2
Road Captain

I hope I didn't rain on your parade. But you ask. You do have a beautiful bike. Looks like someone took good care of it. Here's my 2012 Amber Sunglo Ultra and my 1999 Blue Ultra

Old 02-05-2013, 11:49 AM
knightenforcer
Road Master

Thanks Tanker, you are actually very helpful
The bike runs great, pulls strong. The only few gripes I have is that it vibrates/ shakes more than in idle and hence I thought something is screwed up. Dealer says the motor mounts are good and they didnt find any abnormal sounds or knocks. They also recently adjusted the idle and PC III program to cure the decell pops. (no mention that bike had the above upgrades) I will try to get more info from the dealer. Also doing lots of researching online about the MM efi's. I checked my IAC motor and at run/startup it would actuate back and forth like it's supposed to. So I'm hoping that(like u said) the fast idle was a normal thing and may have been due to the fact it was cold yesterday when it was idling in my driveway. You really did help, thanks btw nice bikes!

Old 02-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Tanker2
Road Captain

If you pull the outside air cleaner cover and twist you throttle open. Bike not running of course. On the right side of the throttle body you will see the adjustment for the fast idle. It moves with the throttle linkage. You can use a little torx wrench to adjust the screw. I always let mine fast idle about 1400. As I said this seemed to help the slow idle for some reason. The adjustment for the slow idle is under the air filter it's self. Talke the element off and you will see it. Have fun and ride safe.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:19 PM
knightenforcer
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tanker2
If you pull the outside air cleaner cover and twist you throttle open. Bike not running of course. On the right side of the throttle body you will see the adjustment for the fast idle. It moves with the throttle linkage. You can use a little torx wrench to adjust the screw. I always let mine fast idle about 1400. As I said this seemed to help the slow idle for some reason. The adjustment for the slow idle is under the air filter it's self. Talke the element off and you will see it. Have fun and ride safe.
Cool. Thanks.
I will keep monitoring it. If it does it again will try that.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 PM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have several strong clues there... strong acceleration (stronger than an 88), lopey idle (my idle got a real cool lope with the 203's installed), and the strongest evidence of all in my opinion, the map that is installed. Someone would have really screwed up to install a map that clearly says 95 on a bike with an 88.

Bet you've got a big bore. Short of pulling a head and measuring the bore diameter, I just don't know of a way to know for sure.

Best best -- track down previous owner(s) and/or catch the service manager of the closest dealership when they're slow and see if he'll run the VIN to see if they have any record of doing the work.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 AM
knightenforcer
Road Master

Cool, thanks for all the replies guys
It sux that its stil winter...yesterday was nice and sunny, eventho it was freezin.
But today, woke up with snow on the ground. Like most of you guys, I cant wait for spring!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:42 AM
1SG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do a compresson check Bigboyz calic. there is around 10 lbs difference in a 95" with a 203 cam.

Last edited by 1SG; 02-06-2013 at 06:27 AM.

Quick Reply: 2001 RKC How to tell if my TC 88 has the 95 kit and cams? also MM EFI q's