Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:22 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Starter Clutch Question

2006 Ultra, good battery (I think). At times during cranking the starter will kick out before starting the bike and cause a grinding sound. Is this the starter clutch? Has anyone had this problem and fixed it with a replacement starter clutch? Or is this a sign of a battery starting to get weak?

Old 02-09-2013, 01:11 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

with a weak battery, various other parts of the starting system can fail- or even be weakened, leading to damage

start with a load test of the battery- also check both ends of the cables for tightness, cleanness of connection and the condition of the cables- any "powder" coming out of the cables, means they are corroding inside the insulation.

too advanced ignition timing can also result in something like what you describe, but that is unlikely with a modern ignition system.

mike

Old 02-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The starter clutch will only rotate the pinion gear in one direction - this is so that when the engine starts it doesn't force the electric starter. Spragues within the starter clutch are devices that are designed to seize the starter shaft and force it to turn in one direction only. If they don't grab and hold the shaft cleanly, one gawd awful noise results - a screeching sound.

The starter can be removed by removing two screws and the electrical connections. The starter clutch can then be replaced. The starter clutch kit is about $150.

There is an excellent, "how-to" on this on HD Forums - do a search.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:36 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Assegai
The starter clutch will only rotate the pinion gear in one direction - this is so that when the engine starts it doesn't force the electric starter. Spragues within the starter clutch are devices that are designed to seize the starter shaft and force it to turn in one direction only. If they don't grab and hold the shaft cleanly, one gawd awful noise results - a screeching sound.

The starter can be removed by removing two screws and the electrical connections. The starter clutch can then be replaced. The starter clutch kit is about $150.

There is an excellent, "how-to" on this on HD Forums - do a search.

Thanks, mine is an 06 and the "how to" is for 09 and newer. Already read all the search's. I have to go into the primary

Old 02-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Assegai
The starter can be removed by removing two screws and the electrical connections.
And the outer primary cover and the jackshaft bolt...

But first do the cheap easy stuff first as mkguitar suggested.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Weak battery or loose connections. The magnet solenoid is what kicks it out and holds it in. The clutch on the starter gear is actual ***** that are held down locking it to drive. When motor starts if by chance you were to hold button down and engine catches and spins up faster then gear is turning ***** ride up the ramp and the gear free wheels. Hurts nothing to do that and it is actually better to hold starter in till it is running (just a second longer then like a car) to get engine running and not get a false start. A whole lot of starts can in time burn the solenoid contacts so all you get is a click but it takes a lot to do that. I doubt a 2006 would have last problem.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-09-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:00 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

Update! Just finished installing an "All *****" starter clutch. This is what the problem was. Starts solid even after its hot no more kicking out during start up.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:41 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

great!- I hope you did the easy stuff first----consider this;

- IF the problem was a bad connection ( and if)- then the repair was in the fixing of the connection- not the new part.

this happens all the time with electrical/electronic faults- I fix 95% of problems at work by cleaning connections-

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-09-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:31 PM
DvlDogBkr
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great choice on the All *****, I just installed an All ***** performance starter clutch on my 08 RK!! Had the same issue progressively got worse until I had free spinning starter.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:53 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
great!- I hope you did the easy stuff first----consider this;

- IF the problem was a bad connection ( and if)- then the repair was in the fixing of the connection- not the new part.

this happens all the time with electrical/electronic faults- I fix 95% of problems at work by cleaning connections-

mike
Mike
You might be right, who knows. I did take the dremel with a small die grinder to the copper contacts in the solenoid. All other contacts looked good. The complete job took about 3 hours taking my time.

Quick Reply: Starter Clutch Question