Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THE ULTIMATE TALL RIDER THREAD! (6'4 and above)

Old 04-22-2016, 09:40 AM
wazooz2424
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lefty33
HA!! This lanky bastard has had good luck finding 36 inseam jeans at most Levis outlet stores. Also have a couple pair of Harley jeans...actually good quality jeans at a decent price. Most of the Harley jeans are available in 36 inseam which work for me.
+1 for the Harley jeans. Well made and thick material for a decent price. zappos has a pretty good selection for tall/big guys, too.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:27 PM
bmr
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigUglyMan
To slightly derail this thread, where do you lanky bastards buy blue jeans? I'm lucky if I can find 36" inseam jeans which work OK for everyday wandering around. But when I'm riding all they do is show off my 50 year old boots (that's not BS either - they were the Old Man's boots and I can't part with them).
http://www.davisbigandtall.com/

Old 04-28-2016, 07:22 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

I did the Tall Boys Cycle brackets, and they made a world of difference. But, since they drop the boards one inch, the brake pedal is somewhere in the stratos. I mean, it sits way high, and about in the middle of the board. So, now I need to swap out the brake pedal. Is there anything out there that will work and still let me get my size 12 onto the board?

The shifters, after a little tweak, are about perfect.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:14 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Stretchman
I did the Tall Boys Cycle brackets, and they made a world of difference. But, since they drop the boards one inch, the brake pedal is somewhere in the stratos. I mean, it sits way high, and about in the middle of the board. So, now I need to swap out the brake pedal. Is there anything out there that will work and still let me get my size 12 onto the board?

The shifters, after a little tweak, are about perfect.
You definitely want to do the +2 Softbrake pedal and +2 shift lever. Makes a world of difference. I believe Softbrake has one specifically made for the Tall Boys brackets. Call and ask.

The following users liked this post:
Stretchman (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 10:12 AM
sheazo13
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 6'5" and 260 pounds. I ride a 13 Road Glide Custom and only comfort mods I have made are highway pegs and Corbin Hollywood solo seat that pushes me back at least 2 inches maybe and more and is great for all day riding.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:48 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevada72
You definitely want to do the +2 Softbrake pedal and +2 shift lever. Makes a world of difference. I believe Softbrake has one specifically made for the Tall Boys brackets. Call and ask.
I called, and he recommended the +3, and it's on order. Thanks.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:06 PM
MBigButt
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

6' 4", 200lbs, 34" waist...when I was younger...now a couple injuries and many years later I'm growing in the wrong directions 6' 3", 300 lbs, 33" Inseam, 35" arms, 46" inch waist

2016 Road Glide Ultra big guys mods so far include:
- Lepera Maverick Daddy Long legs seat with backrest, moves me about 1 1/2" back and maybe 1" down. This fixed a bunch of comfort issues but I'm getting serious butt-burn so still some work here
- National Cycle Tall VStream Windshield, this is really working well for me, decent protection and reasonably clean air. I can ride at 130 kph quite comfortably.

Plans include: Highway pegs, removing the heel shifter, fixing the butt-burn situation somehow

The Le Pera seat fixed position problems that I thought I was going to have to get new bars for so I'm pretty happy with it. I might send it off to get the gel padding installed. My knees get cramped a bit but I think highway pegs will solve that problem.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:14 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Got the +3 brake pedal installed. I can still use the soft lowers, but it rubs a bit.

Would have loved to go for a ride. First day off in 12 days. But no, clear and beautiful
for two solid weeks, and the one day off I get, it pours buckets. On a happier note, I got my Triumph back last week, and was able to ride it all through the work week. I commute on the Bird, since it's a lot less expensive, and I don't worry as much with it parked in the employee lot. It's a great around town bike, and I love riding it, but I don't think I'd want to do Daytona on it. Just isn't set up for massive comfort. The King, OTOH, is now the most comfortable bike in the world. To sit on. In the garage. Man, weather sux. I'll update as weather permits.

Still using the stock handlebars. Believe it or not, I found that pulling them back towards me was the answer. Definitely 'in the bike' now. But alas, I am only 6'3".

I am certain others have 'bigger' issues than me.

Heard that the tall boys brackets might rub when installed with spacers? Contemplating the Harley Foot Board pans up and out an inch, and taking the spacers off. That puts the brackets closer, and the footboards by design mount as the stock ones do, even though they are relocated.

Haven't figured out if I am going to do the backrest, or mount a solo trunk. Sure would be nice to have somewhere to put my full face helmet. Especially if it has a charging port mounted in it. Don't suppose there's a mounting solution that'll let me change from solo to two up on the trunk, and I'd have to change to a solo seat too. Cruise control and a backrest with arms on it sounds real good though. Must think on that.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:57 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Stretchman
Got the +3 brake pedal installed. I can still use the soft lowers, but it rubs a bit.

Still using the stock handlebars. Believe it or not, I found that pulling them back towards me was the answer. Definitely 'in the bike' now. But alas, I am only 6'3".

I am certain others have 'bigger' issues than me.

Heard that the tall boys brackets might rub when installed with spacers? Contemplating the Harley Foot Board pans up and out an inch, and taking the spacers off. That puts the brackets closer, and the footboards by design mount as the stock ones do, even though they are relocated.

Haven't figured out if I am going to do the backrest, or mount a solo trunk. Sure would be nice to have somewhere to put my full face helmet. Especially if it has a charging port mounted in it. Don't suppose there's a mounting solution that'll let me change from solo to two up on the trunk, and I'd have to change to a solo seat too. Cruise control and a backrest with arms on it sounds real good though. Must think on that.
Yeah, my +2s just miss the soft lowers. I figured +3 would touch. Probably not the end of the world once you get used to it. And considering your location, I would imagine they are seldom used.

I too found the stock bars were fine once the the seating position slid back and down. Really freed up the riding position. In fact, I switched bars out - to black. Otherwise stock shape. That's how much I like the stock bars.

On spacers - DO NOT used the kind that go between the frame and the brackets. It's a recipe for disaster. Instead, get the Kury ones that go between the footboard and the brackets. That way only the boards get pushed out and will touch down a bit quicker - but they hinge. It's what I have and sure, I scrape here and there, but it's not as bad as touching down a hard part.

I would keep it simple on the tourpack. I have the detachable and it works great. On when I want it. Off when I don't. FYI, I carry a small bicycle lock to secure my ff on the engine guard when I don't have the tourpack. That said, I believe someone makes a rack that will slide forward for solo and back for two-up, but then it's not removable.

Backrest - not sure what seat you have. If the Harley adjustable will fit, I would do that. They work great. I can't use one because I have the Mustang or RSD seats which don't allow for the fixed backrest. With the Mustang I use the proprietary backrest and it's very good.

Originally Posted by MBigButt
6' 4", 200lbs, 34" waist...when I was younger...now a couple injuries and many years later I'm growing in the wrong directions 6' 3", 300 lbs, 33" Inseam, 35" arms, 46" inch waist

2016 Road Glide Ultra big guys mods so far include:
- Lepera Maverick Daddy Long legs seat with backrest, moves me about 1 1/2" back and maybe 1" down. This fixed a bunch of comfort issues but I'm getting serious butt-burn so still some work here
- National Cycle Tall VStream Windshield, this is really working well for me, decent protection and reasonably clean air. I can ride at 130 kph quite comfortably.

Plans include: Highway pegs, removing the heel shifter, fixing the butt-burn situation somehow

The Le Pera seat fixed position problems that I thought I was going to have to get new bars for so I'm pretty happy with it. I might send it off to get the gel padding installed. My knees get cramped a bit but I think highway pegs will solve that problem.
Check out Stretchman's posts above. He went with the Tall Boys brackets and once he gets her out on the road I know we'll hear great reviews. They transformed my bike. Wouldn't ride without them. They will get rid of that knee pain for you.

And hell yes - get the highway pegs. A cheap and easy way to relax.

For butt burn, if you like your seat, before sending it out to be modified, try an Alaskan Sheepskin or Airhawk. I had my seat modified by MCC (they did a great job) but I still use some sort of pad.

Last edited by nevada72; 05-05-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:31 PM
Peteoz
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, 6'7", 300lbs 37"inleg, size 14s, brand new member....what a great thread.

So here I sit in Australia, with my 5 year old Victory Vision, looking at a change. There's a ton of room for tall riders on the Vision once you get something like a Day Long seat and modified foot controls, due to the way the foot boards are placed behind the horizontal the tip over wings, along with fold out lowers........
but......

I have moved from a capital city to a small town, and my nearest Victory dealer is a loooong way away via freeway, while my nearest Harley dealer is only an hour, so it's time to look at a change. Having read the very informative posts, it appears that the Road Glide is the best Harley fit out of the box for tall riders, and then add maybe Klockwerks bars, Tall boy and Softbrake kits and a rear set seat, and it is pretty comfortable. Both the Glide and the Vision have frame mounted fairings, so that shouldn't be too much of a change. I have yet to take the Road Glide for a test run, but all the reports look pretty good.

Would the above be a reasonable summation?

Regards,
Pete

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: THE ULTIMATE TALL RIDER THREAD! (6'4 and above)