Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THE ULTIMATE TALL RIDER THREAD! (6'4 and above)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:38 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts

There ought to be some benefit to having knees even with the top of the tank.
- wider map board?
- more room to spread out fast food lunch while cruising?
- additional storage/load space for her stuff?

You know, another reason to make the vertically challenged guys jealous.
;-)

Old 02-15-2013, 10:09 AM
ElGigante
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6'6" - Normally around 225 but due to a lazy winter sitting in mid 240s right now - 37" inseam, 18 35/36 dress shirt, size 13 boot.

06 Electra Glide that came with badlander seat (some people hate it, i love it) and extended floor boards. Currently running a short fairing (4" maybe?) that doesn't really seem to buffet me that much. I slouch back a little bit when riding tho, so maybe that makes a difference.

Putting on the 360 degree pegs, just slightly rotated forward of the crash bars
Looking at doing 12.5 or 14" apes

Old 02-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Playx3
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010FLHTCU
I'm interested in how your new windshield works out for you. I'm only 6'3, but would like to find a windshield that minimizes buffeting especially when the lowers are on.
6"4' 240 32 inseam I have a Zepplin Seat 10' LRS flat top shield Freedom Wings and the deflector under the tank ride with the lowers on.
Buffeting is gone even the lady says it is way better
06 Ultra

Old 02-15-2013, 05:00 PM
SurfnRide
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Update on the LRS....

Here is my full report with and without the lower fairing air deflectors. Keep in mind my crash bar lower fairings are not on the bike due to the longer shift/brake levers. Also wearing a 3/4 HJC IS-33 with the full face visor and drop down darker shade.

WITHOUT LOWER MAIN FAIRING AIR DEFLECTORS:

12 inch stock windshield - Right in my line of sight. Hated it. Wind buffeting wasn't terrible but it wasn't ideal between the line of sight and the wind. Caught wind from below the main fairing that still kicked my head around too.

7 inch reg windshield - Just sucked across the board. Lost of road visability but that is the only positive. Maybe if you're a bar hopper who never does long rides this will work but then why not buy a non touring bike? Never will go with that 7 inch again. Into the trash it went.

10 inch regular windshield - Better than the 12 inch for visability but got still got my butt kicked with the buffeting from above and below.

10 inch ultra recurve from LRS - Definitely creates a better pocket of air. Would I say that it's perfect? No but these are motorcycles not cars. Once you hit 55-65 though it basically has the same effect as the reg 10 inch windshield. Maybe "slightly" better...

WITH Lower Fairing Air Deflector:

12 inch stock windshield - Nothing changes here. My line of sight is still jacked.

7 inch reg windshield - Better with the air deflector but not something I would want for any sort of distance.

10 inch regular windshield - Once the air deflector was on I had less
updraft" from below but my head was still getting rocked from above. Helped decrease the amount of head "shake" so the buffeting didn't blurr my vision.

10 inch ultra recurve from LRS - O.K. Now I'm starting to get this. With the lower deflectors and the recurve design I'm in a pretty neutral air pocket. Buuuttt... Once I hit 55-60+ I'm back in the same boat.

So I guess I could try it with the lower crash bar fairings on but that's kind of pointless for me since I'd rather have the longer shift/brake levers than more lower wind protection. And I live in So-Cal so I don't need the lower fairings for warmth.

Ohhh... I did notice one thing about the air deflectors on the main fairing. You get more "head shake" on the bars since you have more surface area deflecting the wind. So you give up helmet buffeting to get a shakier steering ride. NOT BAD THOUGH. But noticable. Also I can move my legs on and off the highway pegs with less effort with the lower main fairing air deflectors and I get less updraft when my legs do go out on the pegs. Mama told me she gets blasted when I stick my legs out and it creates more turbulance for her (before I put the air deflectors on). Damn long legs!

Originally Posted by 2010FLHTCU
I'm interested in how your new windshield works out for you. I'm only 6'3, but would like to find a windshield that minimizes buffeting especially when the lowers are on.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:12 PM
patriot2500
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm 6'4, 320-ish pounds with a 37/38 inch sleeve, 42x32 jeans on my stock '06 Road King Classic. I added highway pegs right away so its more comfortable when I get up to speed I can put my feet out. I bought from a member on here a Sundowner seat and have to install some apes on it to get my arms up higher. The bike has Carlini heritage-style bars on it now from the PO and I am just saving my $$ for bars/cables/etc... The shifter, brake and floorboards are comfortable for me now, but I may change those out over the summer.

As funds allow, so will comfort mods! Great thread for us bigger guys.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:14 AM
redneck0372
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6'3.5" 32" inseam 14" boot 09 ultra no mods but bars and highwaypegs 19" cyclesmiths
Name:  1367.jpg
Views: 19549
Size:  155.2 KB

The following users liked this post:
John1973 (11-18-2018)
Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 AM
GrumpyBear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2009 RKC. 6'3" 350 33" Inseam. Extended my pegs out and put Chubby 16's on. Good mods and really improved my position. The bars were by far the single best mod I have ever done to any of my bikes.

However like others said I should have changed the seat before I did the bars. My new riding position is much easier on my body but has changed the way I sit. Now the stock RKC seat is pushing on my back side and I will need to make a change. That stinks because right now my shoulders, elbows, and wrists are just perfect. Hopefully a slight move on the bar angle will put it back the same way when I get a new seat. I do not want to straighten out my elbows all the way.

And thanks for starting this thread I can tell it is going to be a good one for us little people.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:21 PM
porkey
Stage IV

6/2.5, 36" inseam. 2008 SG with covington board relocators modified to not only go 1"out and 1.5" ahead but also 1/2"down. Highway pegs on bottom curve of crash bar lets me staighten my legs straight but not slide off the pegs. 13" cyclesmiths and stock seat. The bars were a huge improvement for the upper body. I fully intended to change the seat, but learned i dont need to with the abundance of adjustment with the bars. I moved them 4 times before I got them right for me. And yes they are a PITA to fine tune... I suggest bars 1st then see if you need a seat??

Old 02-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Hogster 1
Tourer

Luvin my tall boy seat and 2" extended heel shifter. I wish I had taller bars so I would'nt have to scrunch over....maybe someday

Old 02-24-2013, 06:07 PM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by porkey
6/2.5, 36" inseam. 2008 SG with covington board relocators modified to not only go 1"out and 1.5" ahead but also 1/2"down. Highway pegs on bottom curve of crash bar lets me staighten my legs straight but not slide off the pegs. 13" cyclesmiths and stock seat. The bars were a huge improvement for the upper body. I fully intended to change the seat, but learned i dont need to with the abundance of adjustment with the bars. I moved them 4 times before I got them right for me. And yes they are a PITA to fine tune... I suggest bars 1st then see if you need a seat??
Can you give some info on the "Covington Board Relocators"? Google and HDF search has never heard of them. My '36 inseam is curious!
Thanks!

Quick Reply: THE ULTIMATE TALL RIDER THREAD! (6'4 and above)