Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Road Master

I hook one strap to each side of the lower part of my bars crank them down to where the wheel can't hop. then throw one strap over my swing arm in the rear and done, (need good and secure eyelets in the floor). was taught to haul my dirtbikes this way as a kid, and use the same method for all bikes. I have hauled bikes almost the entire length of the east coast using this method and have never had one fall. I don't haul bikes as much as I used to but when I do I still use this method.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:33 AM
One Of The Regulars

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2 View Post
Pretty much covers it, the only things I did different was using a wheel locking type front chock so the bike would stay up-right after I got off to hook up straps & I took old crew socks with the toe cut off & slid them over the soft straps to protect the strap & chrome.
Now I'm retired I sold the trailer & ride everywhere I go as time is no longer a problem. All my straps & wheel chocks are now stored upstairs in my garage. Life is good.
05 RK Classic, SE 95" cyls., forged 10.1:1 pistons & lifters, Mega-Flo SS2.11 heads, stock TB, Woods TW6HG cams, S&S gear drive & reed valve, Feuling HP oil pump, PC III/usb, Forcewinder AC, Rinehart true duals, Barnett HD clutch pack & spring. True Track, W8less metal matrix floating rotors & HHI six piston calipers, JRI rear shocks. Brightass led brakelight, HD led aux. lamps & TL phase 7 led headlight. 97.6 HP and 106.2 TQ.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Senior Rider

You also don't want to pull forward in the rear because you lose stability. Directly straight would be best, and I think even rearward over forward would be preferred. The front straps will not let those rear straps pull the bike backward, just don't put ratchets in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob View Post
I don't agree with the video showing how he pulls the rear back against the chock. You always want to pull forward towards the chock. To be real honest you don't even have to pull the rear forward,just don't pull against the front. Securing it side to side is fine too,just not rearward. I put two PowerTye big daddy's on the front and two PowerTye fat straps on the rear. I pull down and forward toward the front of the trailer and the chock. I have done this for years and not one problem.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:22 AM

I use a block of wood (4x6 or 6x6) under the frame/motor to help keep the bikes light on the suspension while trailering. The wheels are still on the trailer but when I ratchet it down I’m not completely collapsing the forks and rear shocks. I still use the 4 point tie down method but you don't have to collapse the suspension as much and it keeps the bike sitting very solid and level. I’m not a suspension expert but was told after having fork seals replaced on a couple of my dirt bikes that collapsing the front suspension and bouncing down the road is hell on seals.
2008 RK, 106", Ported and polished heads, TW 555 cams, Rhinehart true duals, TTS, trued, balanced and welded crank, Timken conversion, SE billet cam plate and pump, hydraulic cam chain tensioners, Pro Clutch w/silver plate, 13" JRI Bs
Old 02-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Bud Light is necessary for proper tie-down

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

As far as straps...smart strap retractable , hands down...the loose end retracts into the tie down, once you use a set of these you will throw your other straps away...they sometimes have them at Wal-mart.

http://www.smartstraps.com/products/...tractable.aspx

Do yourself a favor and buy a fold-down chock for the trailer...you back out the bike, fold it down and you have a smooth floor...no unbolting or storing or tripping over it...I have used every type of chock made, and these are the least trouble.

http://www.powersportsplace.com/part...FQyDnQodbDEASg

1984 FXST
1983 FLHT
Old 02-17-2013, 12:03 PM
One Of The Regulars

Also keep in mind that higher wheel chocks could may damage a rim on tire side wall if it rubs in any way. I always place an old towel into the chock to prevent this from happening. You don't want to pull away from the front chock with rear tie downs. The main reason for the rear tie down is to keep the bike from shifting from side to side when traveling.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Road Warrior

Never leave it on the side stand, it will ruin the bushing.

NEVER have the aft straps pulling against the front straps. Every accel/decel of your vehicle causes the straps to stretch ever so lighty and if the straps a re working against each other it is increased.

Bwana
Old 02-17-2013, 01:03 PM
One Of The Regulars

Always trailer with jiffy stand UP.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:02 PM
One Of The Regulars

Slickest setup i have ever seen. No more straps. 2 seconds and off you go!

http://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2012...trailer-mount/
Old 02-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPalmBop View Post
Slickest setup i have ever seen. No more straps. 2 seconds and off you go!

http://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2012...trailer-mount/

1984 FXST
1983 FLHT
Old 02-17-2013, 03:29 PM

P