Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tourpak premium hinges

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:01 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Tourpak premium hinges

I recently got the premium hinges for the tourpak and the instructions are pretty straight forward. One part of the original hinge confuses me. The hinge pin has a T-25 on the end and is held in place with a T-15 "lock screw". Now most hinges I have run across have a hinge pin that is a bent piano wire, not real suitable in this application, a pin held in place by having one end with knurls to provide the locking friction, and a riveted in place hinge pin. The method HD chose certainly works but it seems to me that having screws that hold it in place means that they expect regular removal of the lid by removing the pin.

Seems odd HD would put a 50 cent hinge pin on a 25 cent hinge. Maybe I am missing something, but except for replacing the hinges, why would a easy to remove method be used when they could save $$ with a cheaper pin method. I would imagine that unless you are planning to replace the hinges, or repaint the lid, very few hinge pins get removed.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:56 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Easy Answer

They got you to buy the premium hinges that the tourpak should have come with to begin with! Go and buy a new $35,000 CVO Ultra. They still put the cheapo hinges on that!

Old 02-23-2013, 07:06 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Your first mistake is that you are trying to apply logic to HD manufacturing decisions. What the hell are you thinking? Enjoy the new hinges and move on.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Orange&Black
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Did you have any trouble drillling out the rivets on the original hinges ? I really like the look of the premium hinges

Old 02-23-2013, 07:16 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Your first mistake is that you are trying to apply logic to HD manufacturing decisions. What the hell are you thinking? Enjoy the new hinges and move on.
I agree. I am recovering from back surgery and have too much time on my hands. Planning to replace the hinges today. Probably take me 6-8 hours to do it. Why so long? There will probably be a nap or 2 in there, and after I am done, I'll have to find something else to do. Other things such as tire replacement are off limits till more healing occurs.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:18 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Profound statement. The only thing they didn't put in the instructions was to have an assistant.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,787 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunker
I agree. I am recovering from back surgery and have too much time on my hands. Planning to replace the hinges today. Probably take me 6-8 hours to do it. Why so long? There will probably be a nap or 2 in there, and after I am done, I'll have to find something else to do. Other things such as tire replacement are off limits till more healing occurs.
"Chunker" ... I'm glad you're planning a schedule for the mod's on your scooter, and if I could, I'd like to remind you that you've failed to provided yourself ample time for one ( or many more ) of your favorite beverages while undertaking your task ... No thanks are necessary as I'm sure that the omission was more than likely attributable to an excessive dose of doctor recommended pain relievers ... Good Luck Brother.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
"Chunker" ... I'm glad you're planning a schedule for the mod's on your scooter, and if I could, I'd like to remind you that you've failed to provided yourself ample time for one ( or many more ) of your favorite beverages while undertaking your task ... No thanks are necessary as I'm sure that the omission was more than likely attributable to an excessive dose of doctor recommended pain relievers ... Good Luck Brother.
Yeah, mixing my favorite adult beverages with the doctor selected pills would be a bad thing. Haven't had a beer in 6 weeks and looking forward to some soon. Unfortunately, part 2 of the surgery is to go back in and remove a bone spur from the L5. After that I should be able to taper off the doctor's choice and go to my choice.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:26 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

second hand is helpfull and any time I am drilling holes in my bike I try to save the beverages for the celabration after it's done

Old 02-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Got a link what these hinges look like?

Quick Reply: Tourpak premium hinges