Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HK Radio, Anyone Experienced This

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:53 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default HK Radio, Anyone Experienced This

I started having an HK radio issue a few months back. Between work and winter haven't even thought about it until yesterday.

When I flip the ignitiion switch on and the radio starts to boot up, if I start the bike before the HK is completely booted up, the screen comes up blank. This happens regardless of the radio being on or off at bike shutdown.

Everything still works properly, sound, controls, everything. There is just no display. Turning the radio off, then back on with the bike running has no affect.

What does work is to flip the ignition switch on and wait until the radio is completely booted up with display and sound then crank the bike. Doing it that way everything works including the display.

I'm beginning to think it may be a battery issue eventhough the bike cranks fine. Only come to this conclusion because the bike is a 2010 UC and it is almost 3 years old.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Not sure if it is still under warranty or not. Even if it is, I don't have time to take it to the shop.

Thanks!

Lilman

Old 03-03-2013, 07:29 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a 2010, but have not experienced your issues.

I would suggest that if you haven't by now, you need to flash updated software to your HK firmware. The software is on the HD site, you download it and create an image on a cd, pop the cd into the HK, and it updates itself.

Instructions and software here:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...io-system.html

Try that first before you spend any money. If that does not help you, and if you don't want to tackle it yourself, you can remove the radio an send it to the guys at Iron Cross and they will help you.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:32 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Contact Iron Cross Audio before you do anything...They will advise you on the problem & the fix.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:37 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Contact Iron Cross Audio before you do anything...They will advise you on the problem & the fix.
A good suggestion. A phone call costs nothing and they might be able to put you on the right path.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:56 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE

These HD radios are notorious for the contacts from the face of the radio where they connect to the internal circuit board either corroding because of moisture or simply breaking a solder joint.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Understand that without getting into the radio, the following is an assumption based on what we've seen.

Very unlikely it's a connection issue. If it was, the defect would exist weather you allow the radio to boot up or not.

Voltage drop during start-up can be a cause. It the Microprocessors are not completely "on" when starting the bike, they may experience an error and not fully activate.

There was also an issue in some of the 2010's with the FPC (faceplate control) circuits breaking down. Symptom starts with what you're seeing now and ultimatly results in no display.

A defective or liquid damage LCD could also result in what you're seeing.

Again, we're making some assumptions, but if the display works fine if you allow the unit to completely turn on before starting the bike, most likely not a connection issue.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Mark5
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does it do with the radio off at the start up? Have you tried turning it off then starting? Just curious.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:13 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for all the input. The firmware is up to date so I know that is not the issue. I'm leading more toward Iron Cross says about voltage drop or the actual LCD screen. Being an electrical engineer for 30+ years, I know where they are coming from as I have seen similiar "strangeness" in industrial circuits. That's where my thinking it may be the battery came from.

I may change the battery just to see what happens. What is the general replacement battery everyone is using on the touring bikes. Interstate, Westco?

Mark5, I get the same issue rather the radio is off or not at engine startup. The HK still boots up even if it's off.