Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why cant I use my SE MVA heads with a 107

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 11:00 PM
cycler
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Why cant I use my SE MVA heads with a 107

I have the SE 103 kit and today I took out the 260 cams and replaced them with Woods 888 cams. I am also getting a new exhaust put on in Daytona next week. My question is this. Why can I run the heads listed below with a 103 kit but I cant use these heads with a 107 kit. I was told because these heads have a 95cc combustion chamber it cant be used with a 107 yet it can be used with a 103?
The most advanced T win Cam performance cylinder head
design available. Screamin’ E agle CNC Ported Maximum
Velocity Area (MVA) cylinder heads create power across
the entire R PM range by maximizing velocity through the
intake ports. Increased air speed velocity through the ports
is achieved by “right sizing” port volume at 98cc, lowering
the port roof, and by precision-machining the shape of the
port to complement the giant 2.120" intake valves. Screamin’
Eagle CNC-Ported MVA Cylinder Heads conquer a unique
engineering challenge, and provide the highest possible
torque and acceleration at any R PM. MVA Heads will boost
the punch of a 103" engine. When paired with high lift cams,
MVA Heads can give a 110" or 113" motor everything it needs
to achieve new levels of performance. Countless hours of
dyno testing resulted in a 95cc combustion chamber that
performs in perfect balance with the port size and shape,
and reduced detonation. MVA Heads feature Screamin’
Eagle R ace Springs that permit the use of high lift cams (up
to .660"), and are machined to accept automatic compression
releases
(sold separately) for easier starting. MVA Heads
are manufactured and assembled at Harley-Davidson’s
world class engine factory in Milwaukee, ensuring every set
is made to exact tolerances. All E FI Models require E CM calibration

Old 03-08-2013, 11:16 PM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The combustion chamber for a 107 piston is based on the standard 85cc cyl. head, the se110/mva has a different shape combustion chamber requireing a custom piston, there is a demand for such product but not out of the box yet. (I was going to do the same thing, hillside can whip up a set for you that will work)

Old 03-09-2013, 03:05 AM
cycler
Road Master

If I contacted Hillside to make me a set do I need to sent them my cylinders to bore out to a 107 or would I just purchase a new set from them? And what do you think the cost of the piston would be? Great if I do go this route I guess there is no reason for me to go see Doc to get a Dyno tune next friday when Im there for Bike week. I just installed Woods 888 cams and getting a D&D Fatcat exhaust put on.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

cycler, Hillside is an HDF sponsor and it will be much quicker and simpler to give them a call, that way you will get first hand quality info!

Old 03-09-2013, 07:25 AM
cycler
Road Master

Originally Posted by grbrown
cycler, Hillside is an HDF sponsor and it will be much quicker and simpler to give them a call, that way you will get first hand quality info!

Let me ask you something. Maybe you have the answer for this. Can I just install SE 110 cylinders with matching pistons since these heads work with 110 and above well instead of going the 107 route and paying probably a lot of money for custom pistons from hillside?

Old 03-09-2013, 07:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by cycler
Let me ask you something. Maybe you have the answer for this. Can I just install SE 110 cylinders with matching pistons since these heads work with 110 and above well instead of going the 107 route and paying probably a lot of money for custom pistons from hillside?
I can't give you the same quality info as someone like Hillside! If you were to use someone like them, I guess they could hone your current cylinders to match new custom pistons. That should be cheaper than buying new cylinders with matching pistons. I am also not sure that 110 cylinders will fit 96 cases without modification. Hillside are great users of Woods cams, another reason to talk to them, as they can advise on which combination of parts will work best for you.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:44 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cycler
You could do this but it requires boring your cases. Another issue you are going with a cam that doesnt have enough lift to get anywhere near the full potential out of MVA heads.If your dead set on those cams just send your current heads out and have them ported. Building a engine is all about matching flow,compression and cams. If you dont make the combination right you will be disapointed.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:38 PM
cycler
Road Master

I spoke with Hillside. He said that he could make the correct pistons for a 107 however I would have to send them the heads to match up the pistons and then rework the heads a little. The labor involved would be very expensive. He said I would be happier with putting in S&S 117 cylinders and pistons and cutting the cases. My heads would be perfect for that since they are already polished and ported. Cost to cut the cases would be $250 plus $1100 for 117 cylinders and pistons. Plus labor to install the 117's. However Im not sure I want to go with the 117. Maybe just stick with the 110 or 113 and work with that

Old 03-09-2013, 06:28 PM
tubeman426
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing to consider is once you split the cases to have them bored you should have the crank trued and welded for the power you will be making. The cost just keeps growing the more you do. Make sure you consider your goals and budget before proceeding or hidden costs might bite you in the ***. With a 117 you might be wanting a throttle body and injectors or bigger exhaust as well.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And don't forget about the timken bearing upgrade!

Quick Reply: Why cant I use my SE MVA heads with a 107