Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is my winter mod .....

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool This is my winter mod .....

Not sure if anyone has done this mod before.. but I got tired of it taking 20-30 or so minutes to
take off the fairing on my '94 every time I needed to change a bulb or do some type of mod.. So I
decided to upgrade to the newer fairing. I had already upgraded my handlebar switches to the newer round style already.

After researching and deciding it can be done, I went to ebay to purchase the needed parts.
Got an outer and inner fairing for under $100. Outer needed paint...so..thought..fairing bra will cover that. Picked one up. Picked up a full set of gauges for $100. Found some fairing brackets. (all 4).. already had a fairing cap and switch set..( was gonna see about making that work with old fairing..) Had to get new speaker grilles. Decided to go with 6 1/2 speakers..so picked up a set of Pioneer 3 ways,and needed a set of adapters. Had to get a new windshield as well. Went with an LRS light smoked X-Stream recurve.

Proceeded to redo the harness. Made a custom harness to plug in the new gauges. Finally had everything ready to start installing..( or so I thought..lol..) I tried to reuse as much as I could from the old fairing.. Put the inner fairing on. Found that I need a spacer between the passing/turn signal bracket and the fairing. no problem..can take care of that. Tried putting the fairing cap on.. aww crap!! the 94 handlebars are too narrow !! Had to get a set of 96 that have the air in them for the front forks... I find that I need a longer speedo cable. Found a new one that was a cpl inches longer that was reasonable .. Then.. found that the 2 inner switches on the fairing cap interfere with the bar clamps. ok..I don't have rear speakers or cruise so a pair of nippers clipped off the offending part of the switch bracket.

Now i am just waiting on the ignition switch cover plate and a cpl of light sockets for 2 of the gauges. ( had to special order them) Taking things apart I noticed one of my throttle cables need replacing...so I have to get one of those and also a cpl of switch plug covers. other than that..I think I have everything I need. Have it partially put back together and things do work like they are supposed to. Not sure if I need to put a resistor or add a capacitor to the fuel gauge tho..need to check both gauges with a meter to see if I'll need to do that.

Hopefully will have it all back together by this weekend.

Last edited by kyote; 03-13-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:21 AM
mfortkamp
Tourer

Sounds involved but worth it in the long run. Wondering why you didn't go with a different style bars other than stock from a 96.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:30 AM
kyote
Road Master

Originally Posted by mfortkamp
Sounds involved but worth it in the long run. Wondering why you didn't go with a different style bars other than stock from a 96.
Well... my original intent was to keep it as inexpensive as possible.. lol But after adding it all up it is probably gonna be around $800-900 total..
I think it will be worth it too.
I'm sure there will be comments referring to the old song... about the '55,'56,'57,'58,'59,'60 Cadillac....lol

Old 04-17-2013, 08:41 AM
kyote
Road Master

It Lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Finally got the bike running.. Had a fuel problem and finally figgered it out.
The little vacuum line that runs from the intake to the fuel valve had holes in it..
No Vacuum..no Fuel flow. Went and got some fuel line and and pieced a new line together..
Runs great..all my gauges work too. Stereo sounds great with the 6 1/2's too!!