Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A good brand tire changer for the DIY person

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 PM
jrbean1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A good brand tire changer for the DIY person

I know most of you do not change your own tire. But I would like to do it because it takes me 45 mins to take the tire to an indy shop to get the tire swapped out. That is the closest one. Just would like to a see what is a good brand and a good quality but not too much money. I know you get what you pay for!!!
I get good tires at a good price and the indy shop is starting to lean away from doing tires that is not purchased at his shop. So I just want an other avenue to go down..

thanks for your imput.

Jrbean

Old 03-14-2013, 09:44 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have the Cycle Hill tire changer. It does the job for a reasonable cost.

Attached Thumbnails A good brand tire changer for the DIY person-0313101457.jpg   A good brand tire changer for the DIY person-dsc02269.jpg   A good brand tire changer for the DIY person-dsc02271.jpg   A good brand tire changer for the DIY person-dsc02273.jpg   A good brand tire changer for the DIY person-dsc02275.jpg  

Last edited by soos; 03-14-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:46 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts
Old 03-14-2013, 09:51 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I've always done mine with a JCWhitney bead breaker and three tire irons until... About a year or two ago I picked up a used K&L manual changer on Craigslist.

If I were in the market for something new I'd check out No-Mar.

Attached Thumbnails A good brand tire changer for the DIY person-front-tire-change-003.jpg  

Last edited by 2black1s; 03-14-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:55 PM
BenRK05
Tourer

Get the habor freight tire changer. Then just get the no mar bar to protect your wheels. Figure you will do a tire change once a year. You don't need to over do it with this tool. Here is a link to the no mar bar. http://www.nomartirechanger.com/prod...-mdbar-std.htm

Old 03-14-2013, 11:33 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the no-mar pro model. With three bikes in the house and my riding club buddies it has already paid for itself. Like you by the time I took a tire to a local shop, paid 30 or 40 bucks, got back home ect ect I would have wasted 3 hours that I could have been riding. Plus by doing it myself I know it's right and I don't beat up my wheels.

I have a buddy who is closing his motorcycle shop and selling a brand new NO-MAR pro model with all the accessories if your interested or know someone.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:44 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
I have the no-mar pro model. With three bikes in the house and my riding club buddies it has already paid for itself. Like you by the time I took a tire to a local shop, paid 30 or 40 bucks, got back home ect ect I would have wasted 3 hours that I could have been riding. Plus by doing it myself I know it's right and I don't beat up my wheels.

I have a buddy who is closing his motorcycle shop and selling a brand new NO-MAR pro model with all the accessories if your interested or know someone.
Yep. I split the cost of the No-Mar Pro changer as well. Best money we've spent. 4 bikes between us plus our buddies' bikes, and it had paid for itself.

Nice not to be at the mercy of a dealership to swap tires.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:55 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Harbor freight one with extensive "mods...

taken with cell phone awhile back.

Paid for itself first time

Attached Thumbnails A good brand tire changer for the DIY person-tire-changer.jpg   A good brand tire changer for the DIY person-tirechanger1.jpg  
Old 03-15-2013, 05:07 AM
CVN-65
Tourer

There are some nice videos on the no-mar web site that walk you through removing and replacing a tire on a Harley rim (other models as well). However, they do not show you how to inflate the tire to set the bead in place. This is the area I have the most difficulty. Any suggestions to set the bead will be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:11 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

On my rocker, I change the front tire with some plastic coated tire irons without much trouble at all. If a buddy helps for a few minutes it's alot easier. To remove the old tire, I have an old saw blade, I carefully cut across the tire down to about a half inch from the rim and then take my tin snips and cut the last little bit on each side (usually includes a steel bead, tin snips will cut) and throw the old tire away. No need in fighting to get an old piece of junk off. I find front tires easy. My rear tire is a very wide, low, stiff 260, which requires a 2 arm machine to mount. ALSO, I started using Dyna beads for balancing over the last 2 years and I will never go back. That way you balance them yourself. Works like a charm. Ps Cut a hole in your old tire and dump the old dyna beads in a cup to help save a couple bucks. Ride safe.

Quick Reply: A good brand tire changer for the DIY person