Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

A bunch of us are using the new stainless steel micronic filters. You clean them and reuse them. When you clean them, you can see if there is any metal or plastic in the filter from your plastic cal chain tensioners which can eat your engine...They also have a magnet built in to catch metal particles. I got mine on ebay for 90 bucks...never buy one again. Ps oil cooling fins built into the outside of the filter. Not going to help on mileage I don't think though. Ride safe.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:44 AM
monty1968
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oem filter only

Old 03-17-2013, 08:49 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodzilla6
A bunch of us are using the new stainless steel micronic filters. You clean them and reuse them. When you clean them, you can see if there is any metal or plastic in the filter from your plastic cal chain tensioners which can eat your engine...They also have a magnet built in to catch metal particles. I got mine on ebay for 90 bucks...never buy one again. Ps oil cooling fins built into the outside of the filter. Not going to help on mileage I don't think though. Ride safe.
Here is a link to the K&P filters
http://www.performance-car-motorcycl...il-filters.htm

Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 AM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Wix. Usually 7 or 8 bucks on Amazon

Old 03-17-2013, 10:47 AM
bill from tn
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 115 Posts

On a 2013, I would use nothing other than an OEM filter if for no other reason than the remote chance you have an engine warranty claim it can and will give the moco a reason to deny that claim.
American Iron magazine had a very good article on the OEM filters in the most recent issue. They look well made from what they saw after cutting one open.

I have always used OEM filters on all engines for the last 25 years. No oil related problems so I see no need to mess with that logic.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:46 AM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 76 Posts

The two types of filtration discussed in this thread are rated two completely different ways. Nominal and Absolute.

Paper style filters (like the OEM) are rated as nominal with a given efficiency which means they will trap a given percentage by weight of the rated particle size (and larger). So for example a 5 micron filter with 80 percent efficiency will trap 80 percent of particles 5 micron and larger. However the remaining 20 percent that does not get trapped can be much larger than 5 micron, the size of which is a function of the quality of the media and potentially much larger than an absolute rated filter of 35 micron.

The reusable filter (metal fabric/mesh style) that has been discussed is rated on an absolute basis which means it will NOT pass a particle of the rated pore size or larger. So for example a 35 micron absolute filter will always trap particles of 35 micron or larger and generally will trap a large percentage of smaller particles depending on the shape of the particle. This is because the rating system is based on passing a spherical glass bead.

The issue of cold oil bypass is another concern because a large percentage of engine wear can occur with a cold motor, hence the reason for multi viscosity oil.

To each their own because they are both good but there is a reason that the reuseable absolute style filters are used in aircraft.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:33 PM
steve5412
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bklynbob
I like the Amsoil filters,and i've tried every oil filter (except mesh/screen) including bosch and purolator. These give me less blowby and i'm pretty sure they're made in the USA.
exactly How do you know that Amsoil filters give you less blowby?

Old 04-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow........this thread has more crap in it than my septic tank.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:51 PM
rktallcherry
Novice

K&N only. Because of the nut.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:14 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,495 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by rktallcherry
K&N only. Because of the nut.
Huh...what?