Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12 RKC Extending handlebar wiring (buy a kit or do myself)? Kit ratings?

Old 03-20-2013, 05:51 AM
jjr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking 12 RKC Extending handlebar wiring (buy a kit or do myself)? Kit ratings?

Hi,
I'm in process of installing WO 515 bars on my 2012 RKC and was wondering if its worth buying one of these kits to extend the harness or should I just get some wire and make up the harness extensions myself?

If I did go with a kit who makes the best to use?

If I do myself what gauge is the wire? 22ga?

My bike does have the factory heated handgrips and that wiring is part of the TBW harness so there is a little extra work. I see that some companies offer a plug and play extended harness for the TBW but non offers one with the built in heated grips wiring ( or possibly there is a company that does offer one?

I was looking at the NAMZ kit and it looks like you can not stagger the soldered connections so would this cause any fitment issues pulling the switch gear harness and TBW harness through the bars at the same time? Same question for the left heat handgrip and associated wiring with the switch gear harness?

Is it at all necessary to use a pin tool or will a paperclip or jewler's screwdriver screw driver work ok?

Old 03-20-2013, 07:15 AM
Iamdent1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought and used the kit mainly to keep the wiring color coded correctly with what was there for future reference.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:44 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Kit for sure!! As said above, the kits are color coded stock colors. I went with a Namz kit for mine and it was a piece of cake to install. Well worth the money! Good luck!!

Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 AM
Biker John
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Namz has a lot of stuff.

I went #32310-08 Twist Grip sensor kit from HD price range(s) 88 to 99 bucks dependent on dealer(s). This for a 2012 Road King standard. However, I think those bars you're using are 10 inch bars? So, you might get by without doing the whole control and twist grip sensor change over or not? I stand corrected from those in the know and who used them?

Simplistic to install, no spicing and comes with heated grip connector. Only thing I did was to remove the existing covering that comes with it carefully and replaced with heat shrink so it was nice and flat.

Passed through my Fat Ape Handle Bars #56942-10 16" with no problem. Actually, they're 12-1/2" bars but using the 4 inch riser takes them to that. I also replaced the bar bushings with polyurethane bushings while I was in there, to stiffen it up better with a taller handle bar...subjective.

It was a very easy set of bars to pass all controls through with absolutely no pulling what so ever or any special lubes to help.

I would recommend NOT to do any splicing if you can avoid it. However, this is subjective...To each their own.

You can use a paper clip or a small watch screw driver to detach the clips but do take care. If you break a 'tab' inside the connector the pin will push out and or not correctly seat.

Take notes, pictures and or have a manual handy.

Here's a link...with part numbers for reference. Again all subjective....
http://assets3.hddealersite.com/my12...ingclassic.pdf

Last edited by Biker John; 03-20-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:46 AM
2ropes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do these wire kits work for the control wiring? Looks like they have a mating connector on one end that will fit the Molex connectors you pull from the plug and then another pin on the other end to place back into the Molex connector. Guess you shrink tube each connection then maybe shrink the complete harness? Doesn't this leave a large bundle in the middle where all the connections are; making it difficult to fit into a set of bars, let along pull through.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:03 AM
ecupirate
Cruiser

I used a kit for all the reasons mentioned. I used this and I would recommend them. Good people to deal with!

www.hdbikeparts.com

Old 03-20-2013, 08:22 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master

Kits are great but not all. My buddy purchased a set and had all kinds of trouble. Pulled existing male end out of molex connector, put new extended wire male end into molex connector just fine. Problem was connecting existing male end to new female end of extend wire and it would barely hold. Plus for whatever reason all the extended wires in the kit he purchasd were cut the same length. We ended up staggering and cutting wire kit and soldering and heat shrinking. I would say if you're going to buy a kit get one from a known source that is reccommended. Otherwise it's just as easy to cut and extend your own wires. Just stagger the cuts and solder and heat shrink everything. That's what I did for mine, even the TBW wire that Harley will tell you you can't do.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:36 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts
Old 04-02-2013, 10:47 AM
jjr
Road Captain

Thanks all!

I used the NAMZ kit but next time I will just simply extend the wires (you still would keep the color codes anyway at both ends). NAMZ suggested that I use the universal kit which did not have all the same color wires that my bike had. When I called tech support just got the run around.

Its a simple enough process once you have done it once, it just takes time.

Originally Posted by bklynbob

Old 04-02-2013, 03:14 PM
RootbeerKing
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Same bars and I used the kit as well; however, I also soldered the connections. One would hate for one of those little suckers to come apart as you pull you wires through the bars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 12 RKC Extending handlebar wiring (buy a kit or do myself)? Kit ratings?