Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pack with headers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:11 PM
blackflame
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fuel pack with headers?

Just got my new head pipes from Vance n Hines, do i need a fuel controler with the head pipes?
Thanks

Old 03-21-2013, 03:52 PM
sageone
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get the full benefit out of your new headpipes (i.e. the catalytic converter is now gone), a fuel controller is needed. Most folks replace the headpipe, add a fuel controller, and get an air cleaner/filter that allows more air flow. AKA a stage one. Some replace the mufflers too. You can certainly add these in pieces one at a time if funds are in short supply.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:05 PM
rockajet1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stage 1

Originally Posted by sageone
To get the full benefit out of your new headpipes (i.e. the catalytic converter is now gone), a fuel controller is needed. Most folks replace the headpipe, add a fuel controller, and get an air cleaner/filter that allows more air flow. AKA a stage one. Some replace the mufflers too. You can certainly add these in pieces one at a time if funds are in short supply.
+1 on what Sageone said. But, remember that if you don't do it all at once, every time you make one of those changes you will need to have your fuel management device (Fuel Pak, PCV, whatever) remaped to make sure your fuel air ratio stays where it should. (meaning your not running lean!)

Old 03-21-2013, 04:16 PM
blackflame
Road Captain

Already have the mufflers, and that took the cat away. I was under the impression that you only need the fuel pack with more air intake? I already have the fuel pack so it's not that big of a deal, it's not on the bike yet.
Whats a good way to mount the fuel pack, i do not have the mounting parts, just the fuel pack itself.

Last edited by blackflame; 03-21-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:19 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Pipes + better AC + fuel controller = $$$$$ and stock pipes for me. That is until I win the lottery.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:56 PM
blackflame
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Pipes + better AC + fuel controller = $$$$$ and stock pipes for me. That is until I win the lottery.
Well i got lucky bought the slip on's for $200 like brand new lastyear and i was given the fuel pack for nothing and i just bought the head pipes because i want a better sound and hated the crossover on the stock pipes. The air cleaner might have to wait.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:21 PM
basselope
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never tried it without changing the A/C, but you may be able to get away with not installing the controller. Higher flow through the system is what prompts the need for a change in fuel system management. Since you still have the restrictive factory A/C on the bike, you may not see enough change in flow to warrant the controller. One way to find out is to fire it up and see.