Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softest compound touring tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 05:26 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts
Default softest compound touring tire

Looking for the softest riding tire for my King. I ride solo only 185 lbs. I have always got Avon Venom's on my other Harleys and they gave a smother ride, cant get Venom for my King only Avon Cobra but they have a harder compound.
My Indy said the Met 880 are softer then the stock tires I have now. He said the Mich-commander 2 are selling well, but he thinks they might be a bit harder then the 880's. What say you?

Old 03-23-2013, 05:52 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Lots of reading up on tires seem to indicate that the Pirelli Night Dragons are a stickier/softer tire than most aftermarket offerings for touring, at least that's the anectdotal information I've seen on various forums.

I'm personally switching from the stock Dunlops to Avons soon (Venom front, Cobra rear per Avon's website)- won't really have a chance to test them for a bit since winter won't go the hell away.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Rich67
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've run Venoms for years and loved them. I'm taking stock ones off and gonna try the Cobra's this summer before a long trip, guy's I've seen or talked to have really liked them as well. I never thought about the Venom for the front I'll have to check into that. Never heard anything about it being a harder compound then the Venoms.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:47 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Stinko's (Shinkos)....are very soft and sticky I hear, but very low mileage (6-8 K). Give them a try and report back to us.....http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/...=badger-street

Old 03-23-2013, 06:56 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich67
I've run Venoms for years and loved them. I'm taking stock ones off and gonna try the Cobra's this summer before a long trip, guy's I've seen or talked to have really liked them as well. I never thought about the Venom for the front I'll have to check into that. Never heard anything about it being a harder compound then the Venoms.
Cobra is a longer lasting but harder tire then the Venom that I loved. If you know a good tire dealer they can fill you in. My Brother and one other guy in my group went from Venom to Cobra and the both can tell there bikes ride stiffer over small sharp bumps, other then that they like them.
My self I'm looking for softer over longevity from my tire.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:35 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Metzlers are a good handing tire but they are made of a soft compound which results in less miles per tire....

Old 03-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Rich67
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
Cobra is a longer lasting but harder tire then the Venom that I loved. If you know a good tire dealer they can fill you in. My Brother and one other guy in my group went from Venom to Cobra and the both can tell there bikes ride stiffer over small sharp bumps, other then that they like them.
My self I'm looking for softer over longevity from my tire.
I understand the softer I really didn't care about the mileage on the Venom either.I liked the softer compound also. Haven't really talked to any dealers about the Cobra's yet just hadn't read anything about being a harder comp. I'll have to check into that.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:50 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Does a softer compound really translate to a smoother ride? I have never heard that before and I would think the smoother ride would be more attributable to the tire construction and the air pressure you run than the tread compound.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:56 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I would get the best tire for long life and traction, and let a couple lbs of air out for a smoother ride if that's what you're after.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:01 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have run dunlop, dragons metzler and avons.

I Run Metz 880 on my street glide and I run Avon venoms on my FLHT.

No comparison as far as traction cornering, The AVON VENOM wins over ANY tire I've ever tried. Metz are good but not in the same league IMO.

Quick Reply: softest compound touring tire