Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose Compensator Nut

Old 03-25-2013, 12:02 AM
robvg
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Loose Compensator Nut

Installed new Hayden primary chain tensioner & checked torque on compensator nut while primary cover was off. Got about 1/4 turn on it before the torque wrench clicked. Should I loosen it, re-loctite and retorque or will the snug-up be OK?

Old 03-25-2013, 12:14 AM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would... remove, clean all threads (internal & external) & reapply loctite & torque to specs.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:16 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Aire
I would... remove, clean all threads (internal & external) & reapply loctite & torque to specs.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:21 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I've always been lead to believe that

you should never try and re torque a bolt. Remove and re torque.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:20 AM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

For high frictional conditions the magnitude of the torsional stress can be such that when combined with the direct stress, an equivalent stress over yield can result, leading to failure. A more consistent approach is to determine the magnitude of the direct stress which, when combined with the torsional, will give an equivalent stress of some proportion of yield......
Yeah, try that.
Actually I would leave good enough alone, not that big a deal, the loc-tite will reseal.

Last edited by drukanfu; 03-25-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:39 AM
brownfoxx1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the manual for my '09 t/g says you check the first time at 20k miles but not at 25k. mech. found mine worn but serviceable.(took nut off & re-applied blur locktite & torque to specs.and guys usually upgrade to the S&S one which i hear has slightly better libricarion
than the OEM version.
looks like you found it just in time; when it starts banging (the first time you hear it) i,m told shut bike off, or get it home & ck it immediately.
if you let it bang then you will have to replace it.
the reason i'd like to know your miles is the mech should have ck'd it at 25k & re-locktited the nut. if its loosening up againg lets say at 32k.
then you have a problem in the near future, because it seems the nut will loosen-up in a few k miles.

Last edited by brownfoxx1; 03-25-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:59 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

If I am not mistaken, the compensator nut has the highest torque value of any fastener on the motorcycle. At 140 lbs, there is a lot of nesting stress applied to the threads. If you remove that bolt, I would never re-use it. These bolts are not expensive. Got to the HD shop and get a new one and install it per the manual....First to 100 ft lbs, back off one full turn, then all the way to 140 ft lbs. I always add a little red locktite regardless of that yellow **** they put on the factory bolts.

About your question of tightening it and moving on...well...you broke the locktite set so the loctite will never reattach as well as it does initially. If it was me, I would back out the old bolt, get the new one, get a damn good torque wrench...not some cheap piece of **** from China...and re-install it the correct way. And use the correct locking bar when locking down the sprockets....not some soft *** piece of wood that will slip.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 AM
alame
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
you should never try and re torque a bolt. Remove and re torque.
not quite true there....its done all the time when a retorque is required on the "jesus" nut that holds the head/blades on a helicopter but no Loctite is applied so its a bit different

Last edited by alame; 03-25-2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: more info
Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by brownfoxx1
the manual for my '09 t/g says you check the first time at 20k miles but not at 25k. mech. found mine worn but serviceable.(took nut off & re-applied blur locktite & torque to specs.and guys usually upgrade to the S&S one which i hear has slightly better libricarion
than the OEM version.
looks like you found it just in time; when it starts banging (the first time you hear it) i,m told shut bike off, or get it home & ck it immediately.
if you let it bang then you will have to replace it.
the reason i'd like to know your miles is the mech should have ck'd it at 25k & re-locktited the nut. if its loosening up againg lets say at 32k.
then you have a problem in the near future, because it seems the nut will loosen-up in a few k miles.
You sure it says blue locktite? Every manual I have ever read says to use red!

Old 03-25-2013, 08:35 PM
customsoftail200
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RED loctite.. Make sure you clean the threads of all the old loctite and torque it down.. Sucks when they loosen up, mine did about a year ago, stator and rotor got banged up and damaged the threads on the crank. I sat there for about an hour with a thread file to straighten and then ran a thread chaser over it.. Long process but it worked...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loose Compensator Nut