Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

waxes with black pigment for black paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:15 PM
uuscotty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waxes with black pigment for black paint

Was looking at some new wax this weekend at the store to get some new wax (man, the choices are dizzying nowadays) and noticed these waxes made specifically for black paint. I have a vivid black RKC, so I thought I would take a look at some of the packaging and labels. Seemed like a pretty good idea to try it since we all know black is so hard to keep in great condition. One thing I was trying to find some information on wasn't detailed in any of the packaging, nor is it mentioned on their websites (Meguiar's, Turtle Wax, etc...). The question I am trying to get answered is whether or not the pigment that is supposed to make the black paint shine and so on can have an adverse effect on things like pinstripes. I have white pinstripes and wouldn't want to turn them black, obviously. I realize the pinstripes are under the clear since they are from the factory, but still wouldn't want any cloudy black pigment from the wax over the clear creating less contrast from the pinstripes.

Anyone use any of these types of waxes with the pigments in them?

Do they really make any difference over any other quality wax?

Anyone with any experience regarding the pigment effecting pinstripes, medallions, trim work and the like?

Thanks for the help,

Scott

Old 03-31-2013, 08:25 PM
Pierucki
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering the same thing. Subscribed.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:26 PM
jay87LX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stripes are under the clear as you said, You dont need a wax specifically for black paint if the paint is detailed properly. I have detailed cars professionaly for over 26 years so I have some knowledge on this subject. Depending on the condition of your paint now it may need to be buffed and polished. All a wax is really designed to do is protect the finish. The polish is what makes it shine
When I got my Ultra I buffed it, had to wetsand a small area, polished it and now all I do is wax it with a Meguiers Yellow paste wax. Alot of it has to do with the way it is washed, dried etc as well and the towels used to wipe it down as well as wipe the wax off

Old 03-31-2013, 08:35 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I did a good deep wax job when I got my bike recently and have been using a new product from Turtle (not on their website) called "Black Wax" as a wipe down after washing. I have pinstripes and it works great.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:40 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jay87LX
The stripes are under the clear as you said, You dont need a wax specifically for black paint if the paint is detailed properly. I have detailed cars professionaly for over 26 years so I have some knowledge on this subject. Depending on the condition of your paint now it may need to be buffed and polished. All a wax is really designed to do is protect the finish. The polish is what makes it shine
When I got my Ultra I buffed it, had to wetsand a small area, polished it and now all I do is wax it with a Meguiers Yellow paste wax. Alot of it has to do with the way it is washed, dried etc as well and the towels used to wipe it down as well as wipe the wax off

Your bike looks great! Mine wasn't that clean the day I bought it new.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:05 PM
jay87LX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
Your bike looks great! Mine wasn't that clean the day I bought it new.
Thank You,
Mine wasn't in the shape it is now when I bought it either. As I said I buffed it out, wetsanded a small area and am very particular about my washing methods.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:48 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

I've been using the "black colored" wax on my Ultra for the past year and I didn't notice any adverse effect on the pin striping but I also am not sure wether or not this type of wax really makes a difference on the black paint.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:23 AM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had swirls in my vivid black clear coat and after some clay bar, Meguiars 105/205, and Collinite's 845, it's a deep rich gloss black. I even used the 105 and 205 on my lid covers that were pretty scuffed and they turned out great.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:18 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the pigment helps fill in scratches, nicks and other imperfections. I used such a product once on an old car I was restoring with some success. I don't think you will get more shine than with another quality wax.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:38 AM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't buy into it. All waxes have a pigment. Does white wax turn your bike white? Nope. Quality wash, clay and buff will get the proper finish. Wax just protects the clear coat

Mike

Quick Reply: waxes with black pigment for black paint