Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

80 Flt wiring diagram

Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 PM
hippijim
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80 Flt wiring diagram

New to the site,if anyone has a good wiring diagram for ignition and light breakers on a 1980 Flt Tour Glide i would greatly appreciate it.I got this bike over the winter and did alot to it but now i had a charging problem.Has new stator kit but my problem is in the breakers under the cluster.Looked like a jumper wire(green) was missing from the ignition and lighting breakers so i hooked it up indicator(new) showed it was charging but the lights were on in the ignition position.Let it sit over night and fired it up and its back in the red.Some of the wire colors dont match my Service manual's wire colors.Thanks for taking the time to read this post and any help.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:03 PM
vangasman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably have better luck over at the shovel forum.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:19 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The green wire on the breakers is for the Lights. It makes the headlight remain on when the ignition is on. The ignition switch on the 1980 has positions for ignition and lights. But the Federal requirement for Lights On with Ignition has Harley adding the jumper to the breakers to make the light s remain on when ignition was used. Later models used the ignition switch without the "light" position.

Most of us that rode the older models cut the green jumper to let us have the headlights be able to be turned off when starting the bike.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Is your manual factory or aftermarket? If it is factory and those wires are different you may be dealing with either an undocumented harness, or some rewiring by a previous owner. I have that problem with my International spec 1990 Glide, for which there is no factory wiring diagram, apparently because not many of my version were made. I have to read between the lines, so to speak! You may have to do the same.....

Old 04-03-2013, 11:02 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hippijim
New to the site,if anyone has a good wiring diagram for ignition and light breakers on a 1980 Flt Tour Glide i would greatly appreciate it.I got this bike over the winter and did alot to it but now i had a charging problem.Has new stator kit but my problem is in the breakers under the cluster.Looked like a jumper wire(green) was missing from the ignition and lighting breakers so i hooked it up indicator(new) showed it was charging but the lights were on in the ignition position.Let it sit over night and fired it up and its back in the red.Some of the wire colors dont match my Service manual's wire colors.Thanks for taking the time to read this post and any help.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...e-65-03-a.html

This was found from there.
http://www.smokeriders.com/diagrams/...80-83_FLHT.gif

Also found this in one of the above links. The guy sells laminated diagrams. I have no personal knowledge about his just posting the link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-FLT-M...item334ed02f8e

Last edited by vzts4q; 04-03-2013 at 11:08 AM.