Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTH chrome flaked

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 02:10 AM
blackflame
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default WTH chrome flaked

Mother trucker, pulled my bike out of hibernation and see this.... Chrome is pitted and flaking on my Vance n Hines end caps....

Attached Thumbnails WTH chrome flaked-20130404_181449.jpg  
Old 04-05-2013, 02:56 AM
Strait
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a set of hd axle covers that did the same thing I don't know why only thing that's like that on my bike is it just one side or both?

Old 04-05-2013, 04:09 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Strait
Got a set of hd axle covers that did the same thing I don't know why only thing that's like that on my bike is it just one side or both?
Ask your Lady if you can borrow a few of her periods. You seem to be missing some...

Old 04-05-2013, 04:14 AM
darkcustom48
Cruiser

I started a thread earlier this week about my new bike pitting after 1 winter. They seem to be cheaping out on chrome these days. My V&H looked good. My problem is the factory chrome. Especially the mirrors and engine guards. Look for SIMICHROME at the dealer or on line. My family has been polishing bike chrome with this stuff for 2 generations. It looks great, takes the pitting off, and leaves an invisible protective film. Google it.

Last edited by darkcustom48; 04-05-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:18 AM
blackflame
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Both, I think they might have gotten wet. Sad to say I have no garage, but the shed changes temps so often.. I'm going to have to give the bike a good polish and a coat of wax. I think I know what caused it, I ride late into the season here in Ct and I remember riding after they used that pre treatment for the roads and I bet the dust kicking up did it. They are not cheap to replace..

Last edited by blackflame; 04-05-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Strait
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Def Mute
Ask your Lady if you can borrow a few of her periods. You seem to be missing some...
I phone man doesn't do periods real well. Sometimes I forget to double space to put a period.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:24 PM
KGlideVivid
Road Captain

Bummer, but at least it's just the endcaps

Old 04-05-2013, 08:01 PM
In2It
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I lived in Va Bch I put my softail in a storage unit when I went to the Persion Gulf. I Hhad pitting on my inner and outter primary and my rocker covers.Made me sick to see it.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Ron "Gunner" Retzlaff
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by darkcustom48
I started a thread earlier this week about my new bike pitting after 1 winter. They seem to be cheaping out on chrome these days. My V&H looked good. My problem is the factory chrome. Especially the mirrors and engine guards. Look for SIMICHROME at the dealer or on line. My family has been polishing bike chrome with this stuff for 2 generations. It looks great, takes the pitting off, and leaves an invisible protective film. Google it.
The Harley factory chrome is complete crap. I've got cars and a truck that sit outside in the weather year after year and I never have a chrome issue. My Harley sat under a car awning and it looks like I bought some cheap P.O.S. it has so many chrome issues. My bike isn't a show piece that gets rubbed on and wiped down every time that I walk by it. I ride it often and wash it regularly, but the quality of it is crap.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:18 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Powder coat them.

Quick Reply: WTH chrome flaked