Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which torque value to use: Service manual's or replacement part's instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Tedjay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which torque value to use: Service manual's or replacement part's instructions?

Which torque value would you choose when replacing a part: Value stated in the service manual or value stated in the replacement part instructions?

In my case, I put on the HD Street Cannon mufflers. Service manual says muffler clamp torque is 38-43 ft-lbs. Street Cannon install instructions say muffler clamp torque is 45-61 ft-lbs. Which to choose? I picked the service manual figuring it's the gospel, but I'm not sure.

Similarly, the bolts that attach the rear of the muffler to the saddlebag bracket. Service manual says 8-12 ft-lbs. Street Cannon install instructions say 19 ft lbs. Which to choose?

Which torque value would you use for the above: Service manual or install instructions?

Anyone know why there's such a large difference between the two sources?

I just put on the mufflers last weekend and haven't had a chance to ride on account of the snow melt and salt roads, so I'd like to get them torqued correctly before I get out on the road.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member

Received 5,414 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Personally, I have never used a torque wrench on those bolts. I just make 'em tight.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

factory hardware, factory spec.

you can always tighten stuff up, once you collapse a part or stretch a fastener by exceeding limits, you are FUBAR'd

Now if you are using aftermarket parts that would crack if loaded up too much, or using SS hardware that acts like grade 2 stock, etc, it is on a case by case basis

Old 04-07-2013, 05:58 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedjay
Which torque value would you choose when replacing a part: Value stated in the service manual or value stated in the replacement part instructions?

In my case, I put on the HD Street Cannon mufflers. Service manual says muffler clamp torque is 38-43 ft-lbs. Street Cannon install instructions say muffler clamp torque is 45-61 ft-lbs. Which to choose? I picked the service manual figuring it's the gospel, but I'm not sure.

Similarly, the bolts that attach the rear of the muffler to the saddlebag bracket. Service manual says 8-12 ft-lbs. Street Cannon install instructions say 19 ft lbs. Which to choose?

Which torque value would you use for the above: Service manual or install instructions?

Anyone know why there's such a large difference between the two sources?

I just put on the mufflers last weekend and haven't had a chance to ride on account of the snow melt and salt roads, so I'd like to get them torqued correctly before I get out on the road.
Service manual is for stock parts that came on the bike. The instructions that come with the accessories should be followed as far as I'm concerned. Go 45 lbs on the muffler clamps and on the hanger bolts, use some blue locktite and just snuck them down tight. They have lock washers, so their not going anywhere.