Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight glass hit with rock

Old 04-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Strait
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight glass hit with rock

Just curious to how many have had rocks hit there headlights and spider web or shatter them. Would seem pretty common riding in groups but this is a first for me and anyone I ride with. Figure it's happened more than onece to some. Ain't nothing 110 bucks can't fix but anyway just curious.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 622 Likes on 452 Posts

Compared to the overall frontal area of a scooter, the headlight is pretty small making the chances of a hit in the headlight also small. Then the chances of a hit big enough to break the glass is even smaller. I got hit by a rock just above the cross bar of the windshield and it made quite a gouge. I was going about 60 in one direction and a gravel truck was going about as fast in the opposite direction, that rock sounded like a bullet. It was a very nice day and I had thought about leaving the windshield at home. After that, the windshield is always on the scooter. I am very confident that if that rock had hit the headlight, it would have broken the glass.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Black Gator
Tourer
Cool

Also a great reason to get/wear some really good riding glasses. I got some tactical Wilex glasses that have taken some pretty good hits on my FatBoy ( no windshield).

Old 04-08-2013, 08:53 PM
silverado636
Cruiser

Took a rock last June, totally shattered all the glass. I put in a H6014BL from Napa. Its a sealed beam worth about $15. Alot cheaper than HD. Ya is doesnt look the same but its still a light.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:56 PM
gdoc89
Tourer

As for the headlight....perfect excuse to get the LED. You figure your face is approximately the same size......glad the odds are low.

I think I've lost 1 or 2 headlights in 30+ years of driving.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:02 PM
tdd77
Advanced

Had one go right through the glass on my scoot. I was going about 70 on the freeway and heard a loud "TINK" and I thought something just hit the fender,when I got home and walked back to the bike after opening the garage door I noticed the spider webbed headlight. It kind of looks like it was shot with a powerful pellet gun. I just taped it up with some clear packaging tape,thanks for reminding me I need to replace it LOL! I think a guy can replace it with a certain car style headlight at a fraction of the price over going with HD and would actually be an upgrade, one of the brands is Hella if i'm not mistaken.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:02 PM
diesel6060
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine was cracked down the middle from a rock chip. I replaced with stock. Then a year later put the daymaker in. Rather a rock to the headlight then to my face. It's bad enough as is.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 PM
09BlueRoadKing
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny you should mention that, my headlight took a rock this weekend and spiderwebed but didnt bust and was still working. It just happened to be the the dual bulb light that cost around 180.00 new, I bought it off a guy that was upgradeing for 50.00 and got to run it for a few months before it got hit. Good thing I still had the original headlight to replace it with, they want 90.00 bucks at Harley for just the single bulb headlight.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally I would put one of the Hella E-code headlights in..... Motorcycle only legal and around $35 on amazon.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Strait
Cruiser

Interesting ill have to look into some of these options. But yea I'd much rather have it took the headlight instead of my white n pearlys. Crazy thing is 5 miles from the house wasp or some stinging critter comes over the windshield I see it look in the mirror and its stuck to my girlfriends lip and stinging her she was whipping and knocking trying to get the dang thing off. How the heck it make it past me ill never know good thing was I was rolling up on a turn so we were not moving real fast thought she was going off one time all this in about a second watching it seemed like ten minutes. Crazy day on the road for me for sure but at least it was pretty enough to put a couple hundred on with some friends.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight glass hit with rock