Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking runout

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 05:07 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Checking runout

Please forgive my newb question, but I've seen many posts about gear driven cams that say "if the runout is good". How does one check runout?

Old 04-11-2013, 05:37 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Go over to you tube and there should be several videos showing how to do it. It would be better than me trying to explain.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:37 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

With a dial indicator. Generally if runout is .003 or better you can get away with gear driven cams

Old 04-11-2013, 05:59 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

So there's no way to know ahead of time if you shoud order gear drive or chain?

Old 04-11-2013, 06:00 AM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm replacing my cams with another chain driven cam. Other cam change writeups suggest to check the runout, but why? Am I looking for a number that should concern me? My bike is a 2012 with 5k miles. I'm not sure if I should spend the money to buy a dial to measure this when I'm not sure what I would do with the information I get...and what exactly is it measuring???

Last edited by trnewman; 04-11-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by just plain john
So there's no way to know ahead of time if you should order gear drive or chain?
That is right about gear drive, as it is gears that will not work with too much runout. Chain drive cams are fine, so you can order them in advance, if you decide to use them.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:00 AM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trnewman
I'm replacing my cams with another chain driven cam. Other cam change writeups suggest to check the runout, but why? Am I looking for a number that should concern me? My bike is a 2012 with 5k miles. I'm not sure if I should spend the money to buy a dial to measure this when I'm not sure what I would do with the information I get...and what exactly is it measuring???
You are checking to see if your crank is straight like an arrow shaft or like a bananna. Straight being .003 or less movement. If your crank has to much movement the gears of the cams will walk, move, grind, make noise and destroy themselves

Old 04-11-2013, 07:15 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Card
You are checking to see if your crank is straight
Actually it's checking concentricity.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:22 AM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Card
You are checking to see if your crank is straight like an arrow shaft or like a bananna. Straight being .003 or less movement. If your crank has to much movement the gears of the cams will walk, move, grind, make noise and destroy themselves
Ok so if I'm going to change cams to another chain driven cam, does the same tolerance (.003) apply? If not, at what value should I be concerned? Or do I need to check it at all considering my bike is fairly new? Thanks.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Originally Posted by trnewman
Ok so if I'm going to change cams to another chain driven cam, does the same tolerance (.003) apply? If not, at what value should I be concerned? Or do I need to check it at all considering my bike is fairly new? Thanks.
Chain driven cams can run fine if your crank is within harley spec, an outlandish .012, its hard to imagine any bike being able to run for long with greater than that.

If you want chain driven cams I wouldnt bother with checking runout.

But why are you fixated on gear driven cams? I'd bet that the overwhelming majority of cam upgrades are chain.

Some people are very concerned about this spec, with some justification for sure. But improving crank runout requires splitting the cases and doing expensive work upwards of $2K. And then you still have to buy and install your cams.

Quick Reply: Checking runout